Even as we “politicos” wrangle over policies and issues, we are still losing the debate on conservatism. This article brought that home.

Partisan politics is a deadly weapon that is destroying the fabric of one of the greatest societies in history. It’s frustrating to watch Americans slowly losing their grip on true freedom. It seems that we’re either free to be liberal or free to be conservative. How does choosing between these two failed ideologies give us real freedom at all? (emphasis mine)

The bolded words is where the writer went wrong. He has confused conservative with Republican. I can understand his mistake. Most people make the same mistake. However, the reason most conservatives vote Republican is that fact that we lose less freedom and at a slower pace than if we were to vote for the Democrat instead.

He doesn’t understand that conservatism isn’t a political ideology but a way of living in that freedom he is in such fear of losing. Conservatives are individuals and believe in individual freedom and come at our decisions in individual ways knowing there is no “one size fits all” solution to any problem whether it’s on a personal or national level. Not even state to state.

Neither conservatives nor liberals in government should take pride in their efforts unless that effort results in some measure of progress for the nation they serve. It is well past time for our leaders at every level of government to abandon political partisanship and begin to look at our population as one group.

While the writer is correct in that neither should take pride in their efforts, he’s looking in the wrong direction and also wrong in that we should be looked upon as one group. We are not “one group.” We are individuals whom the Founders sought to allow the maximum amount of freedom balanced with laws that allow an orderly society to prosper without chaos.

It is time for Americans to set aside their Democratic or Republican loyalties so that our nation can rebuild its identity at home and abroad. While we have struggled to pick the right side, we have slowly lost sight of the notion that we were once all on the same side.

Again, sir, you are wrong. We are not on the same side except in the loosest definition of: “One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” That phrase negates identity politics and victimology. Were it not for those type politics, the divisiveness you are witnessing wouldn’t be an issue.

Will Democrats look at conservatism in a real sense or as a political talking point as it is anathema to their own ideology of a powerful central government for your one size fits all solutions? Were we all the same there would be no need for states. Do you want your state, if it is more conservative to be ordered in the way that New York or California is? Or vice versa, if you like California or New York the way they are? How then can Republicans work with them to solve the problems of this country as compromise is not an option?

New faces in government don’t change anything if the motivation stays the same.

While I find most of the article simplistic and naive, on this one statement I can agree with the author, wholeheartedly. New faces won’t make a difference unless We the People reclaim the power we once had and acknowledged by the authors of the Constitution as our inalienable rights endowed by our Creator, not man Our Bill of Rights:

1. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What this means is that we have the right to worship as we see fit; or not to worship as we see fit. Conservatives come in all colors and religions from the Baptist to the Muslim; white to black. Some are even homosexual and atheist, contrary to popular opinion.

The freedom of speech is not to be abridged, especially with identity politics. When Harry Reid said:””I don’t know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican, okay. Do I need to say more?” it was one of the most racist statements I’ve ever heard because it immediately grouped individuals as all alike, stupid, and incapable of making crucial decisions without help from an overarching government. Yet, he can say something like that while the majority of white folk gets tarred with the racist brush for simply opposing Obama’s policies, which has nothing to do with his skin color.

We are not allowed to peaceably assemble. When one does, a victim quickly becomes villain if one is on the “wrong” side of the political divide.

Article IV, Section 4 of the Constitution states:

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

A republican form of government is defined as(emphasis mine): republic n 1 : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and is usually a president; also : a nation or other political unit having such a government 2 : a government in which supreme power is held by the citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives governing according to law; also : a nation or other political unit having such a form of government Source: NMW

How then does one reconcile the political divide that so concerned the author of “Hold the politics, please”?

Try starting here: Ten Conservative Principles.

The attitude we call conservatism is sustained by a body of sentiments, rather than by a system of ideological dogmata. It is almost true that a conservative may be defined as a person who thinks himself such. The conservative movement or body of opinion can accommodate a considerable diversity of views on a good many subjects, there being no Test Act or Thirty-Nine Articles of the conservative creed.

In essence, the conservative person is simply one who finds the permanent things more pleasing than Chaos and Old Night. (Yet conservatives know, with Burke, that healthy “change is the means of our preservation.”) A people’s historic continuity of experience, says the conservative, offers a guide to policy far better than the abstract designs of coffee-house philosophers. But of course there is more to the conservative persuasion than this general attitude.

Read the rest, especially the principles themselves, and perhaps you’ll find some of the answers you seek, Mr. Grubbs. Perhaps so will some others.

Crossposted

26 Responses to Right… And Wrong.

• Carol Greenberg says:

Wow. You really hit it out of the ballpark on this one. Great research and finds, especially the comment by Reid. Bookmarked that one…for future reference. Sharon Angle, are you WATCHING??

“Do you want your state, if it is more conservative to be ordered in the way that New York or California is?”
    Yep, the conservatives have pretty well ruined my state. I am very tired of having my property tax go up
    so they can decrease business tax. Individual rights?
    Nope, goldanged meddlers (Y’all should consider moving up this way, HB 😉 )

Good luck electing ‘conservatives. It’s all we got up here. Like this sorry excuse for a state legislator.
    Not only is he on the Revenue & Taxation Committee, but he keeps getting elected. He makes sure I pay my taxes, but he is above the law on his. Criminal..conservative.
    HB, please choose better than us! 😥

BB, not too long ago I wrote up a post and had a link to states’ debt. Idaho was one of the lowest. RI was the highest. The bluer the state the more debt liability each resident has.

If businesses don’t get breaks somewhere that they’re not going to get from the feds, well, you might get worse property tax increases.

Sometimes, it’s the lesser of two evils that are the only choices. I’d get rid of that Hart fellow, too. He is not a conservative though he might try to bill himself as one. Sounds more extreme libertarian than conservative.

I suppose politics shades business attitued towards states, but there are several factors: for example, this interesting chart
    indicates Tennesse and Idaho share several of those.
    (We aren’t under Cumberland River water as much though). Our particular state is notorious for underfunding education, and several large electronic
    companies have stayed away for that reason. I came here 30 odd years back for the ‘quality of life’ and we sure got that. 😉

StephC,

” He has confused conservative with Republican.”

Here in the northwest we have a saying….All azaleas are rhododendrons but not all rhododendrons are azaleas……can I say the same about conservatives “all conservatives are republicans but not all republicans are conservatives”…….or is that too partisan or narrow minded of a statement……it seems to me that conservatism does lend itself to a political ideology…isn’t that what the “Tea Party” is all about……..and yes we are individuals but don’t we all play for the same team……….You stated “The bluer the state the more debt liability each resident has” ……….really…….if you look at the states with the highest debt liability they are also the states with the “highest population density”…. Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey are in the top 5 in the nation…..maybe there is some correlation between population density and debt you know you pack in more people and you need more schools, more police, more fireman you know all those things the government is expected to provide using our hard earned tax dollars….. By the way Idaho is somewhere around 44 and Tennessee is breaks the top 20 at 19… ……

You could make that claim but bluer still holds as most places with such density are blue, including lovely Nashville, but then how do you account for the red cities? There a few of them around, mostly in TX but still…

StephC,

As far as population density goes TX is a big state….while TX has a high population overall it ranks around 26th in population density and most of the cities in TX fit that same bill………maybe those people in the blue states just like living closer to each other……….

StephC,

“That doesn’t explain why they’re almost all blue.”…….

No it doesn’t……but the point I’m making on the debt liability for the states is not so much that they are red or blue states but that its driven in a large part by population density……political persuasion has little to do with it………look at the maps……. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USA_states_population_density_map.PNG
    If you compare it to the map you had on the debt liability it lines up pretty well across the board……

No… I don’t think population density would have the effect that you’re thinking it would have in those circumstances. Compare the two maps and you’ll see that theory doesn’t quite hold up. FL has a similar population density to California but not nearly as far in debt, for instance, but CA has more than twice the debt that FL has. And I wouldn’t characterize FL is very red, either.

I’m sure there are a lot of factors that went into it but I don’t think population density has as much effect as politics. Politics locally as well as state and federal.

StephC,

Look at this……Conn Debt $4859…Density Rank 4th….Mass Debt $4606….Density Rank 3rd……Hawaii Debt $3996….Density Rank 13th…….New Jersey..Debt $3695…Density Rank 1st……New York..Debt $3135…Density Rank 7th……from what I could gather on the map quickly I took the top 5 states for debt and listed where they rank in the country for population density……they all rank high in density……and yes you are right about Florida and California I never said it was 100% and what should you expect its California …I mean look who they have for a governor….He is a republican isn’t he……..but as you said earlier is he a conservative…….and if you look just to the north of Florida to Georgia it has half the debt of Florida and also half of the density…….There is a correlation……..While you can’t rule out politics totally……you can’t deny the fact that population density has an overriding factor…….Its not always red against blue……..sometimes its just the cards that are dealt….If you have more people there are going to be more demands……..

I understand what you’re saying, Bruce but density doesn’t explain why they’re disproportionately Blue or those Blue states that don’t have the population density are still higher in debt than than most of the Red states; states like WV, Vermont,NV and NM.

That takes us back to the old red/blue map of who gets the most back from their federal tax . The states with the most debt are those that get back less from the feds they they spend on the feds. Those with the least debt are those that get back more than they spend (or a hell of a lot more, like Alaska). The thing that us libs find irritating is that those states feeding at the federal trough are the ones where the voters are
    mostly conservative! If the Tea Party has any cajones,
    the conservative states will stop feeding at the federal trough, being supported by the liberal blue states.
    Yep, its irritating. 😯

That chart is no lie HB. I was serving in uniform when
    Beck was born and I have a pretty good idea of what a patriot is and is not…and I have a pretty good idea of which journalists lie and do not. I deal in facts, HB and that chart is a fact. Please deal with it.

BB, so what if it’s a fact? How about interpretation? I guess the term “matching funds” has nothing to do with it? Or how much federal land within a state? We’ve talked before about the stupid TVA in TN, to mention one thing owned by the federal government.

Also, the fact that the first map used red/blue for the colors is misleading but considering the source you used, that’s to be expected. Those ain’t all red states. FL and AZ, though red, are retiree states, so I guess SS and Medicare aren’t considered federal dollars? Not to mention NM, which is a deep blue state, has the highest spending of federal dollars of all the states. Or Arkansas(also blue) at a whopping $1.47? Or WV at $1.83? OH, PA, NC? Those aren’t red states I’m listing.

So, yeah, let’s deal in facts, okay?

I don’t watch Beck nearly as much as you think I do so throwing that out there as an insult is rather laughable. The fact that you did it in response to my calling Klein a liar… he admitted to conspiring to get Obama elected… is just sad.

HB, you sure nailed it when you noted ‘”is just sad.”
    We US citizens seem more interested in fighting with each other and lining up ‘our’ media and ‘experts’ than
    actually addressing our and the world’s problems. I am not familiar with Klein, but honestly I do not buy
    the ‘MSM media conspiracy’. As for SS/Medicare, I suppose those are taxes, Lord knows I paid a lot of
    that before I retired..its a bit different because originally it was a stand alone program. In the Nixon era I think they melded those into the general fund. My understanding of Fed dollars (true, we have discussed this prior) is defense spending..Gates tries to save $$ by closing bases, mfg plants etc, and the
    local pols fight to save those jobs. Having pondered our economy, I see nothing on the horizon from either side which actually addresses a solution. The fact is,
    it is a world economy now, the biggest corporations owe us no loyalty (my prescriptions are made in India and Ireland-but I pay US prices for example) and our
    labor costs/regulatory are not competitive. Sure, we
    could all work for 50 cents a day and be competitive, but I know I would not like that! As for Beck, I liked him when he first showed up-a breath of fresh air. But he gets more squirrely every day; and his flock marches in lock-step. His type is nothing new if you look at US history. If you think comparing him and his influence is ‘laughable’ compared to this Ezra guy, well you are correct…Beck has way too much influence considering
    his background, intellect and loose cannon prattling.
    As for conservatives, they have run my state for a generation..pretty much into the ground, so that is my take: much like your take on liberals running other states into a fiscal mess. I remember well when
    Reagan started the whole thing: lower taxes and borrow $$. That started the whole debt thinking and it has spiraled ever since. Those are the facts as I see them and if we continued divided, refusing to pull together…well, welcome to 50 cents a day. Let me know if you see a leader that can fix things…you know, like the ‘founding fathers’? When 98% of us were small farmers? Perhaps HB, we CAN agree that it is down right depressing 🙁

Defense spending is still only about 4% of the GDP where it has been for years and years.

I agree about the “general funds” aspect of SS. I’ve mentioned that myself. I don’t care if it was Nixon or a Democrat… in my mind Nixon ain’t much better. The only difference I can see between Dems and those like Nixon is whose money they consider our money to be. If you listen to a Dem, it’s their money and we should be thankful they allow us to keep any of it.

The truth is, the bigger the government grows the worse off the rest of us get. Rep or Dem doesn’t matter. And that’s where the confusion of Rep = conservative comes in.

As far as Klein, Beck, et al. Klein admitted it once he was found out and there are over 400 names in that list.

Obama can raise taxes and say it’s all about the deficit or whatever but it’s not going to change anything because the government won’t stop spending. The more they take in the more they spend because they’ll see it all as a reason to not cut back on anything… kick the can down the road mentality.

We’ve been spiraling a lot longer than Reagan. Longer than Carter or LBJ, too, for that matter. But the more the government takes on responsibilities it’s not equipped or capable of dealing with the worse it’s going to get.

I used to think Beck was pretty wild myself, but then I started looking into what he was talking about. So far, I haven’t found anything I can argue with really. But the media, in total, gets on my nerves these days… all the posturing and positioning… and the most important things don’t even get coverage in the latest celebrity scandal or Obama vacation.

• JadedByPolitics says:

Indeed the writer as MOST of the media wing of the Democrat Party do is make Republicans and Conservatives interchangeable when the REALITY is that given a good 8 year run Conservatives would restore the balance of power back to the States and away from a large and intrusive Federal govt 👿

September 2010