The Huffington Post is celebrating today because the Color of Change has managed to pressure companies into pulling or not consider advertising on Fox’s Glenn Beck Show.

The new companies distancing themselves from Beck include Airware Inc. (makers of Brez anti-snoring aids), Ancestry.com, AT&T, Blaine Labs Inc., Campbell Soup Company, Clorox, Ditech, The Elations Company, Experian (creator of FreeCreditReport.com), Farmers Insurance Group, Johnson & Johnson (makers of Tylenol), Lowe’s, NutriSystem, Sprint, The UPS Store and Verizon Wireless.

According to the article, there are 160,000 Color of Change members. Wow, that’s a LOT, especially stacked up against 2.2 million, on average, who watch Beck’s show. Of course, they’re simply bowing to a majority to keep themselves solvent, right? Right?

What’s that you say? 2.2 million is more than 160,000? Are you saying I have it backwards? But that can’t be! The Huffington Post says… and they’re demanding accountability. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t trust their accountability any further than I trust their math considering they’re all too willing to cater to the 160,000 over the 2.2 million.

It’s a pity for some of them. Lowe’s, today, just lost some business. I need a new toilet, or at least parts to fix it. I woke up this morning to a flooded home office. I’ll find somewhere else to buy the parts for repairs.

Likewise, Johnson & Johnson. I don’t use Tylenol because it simply doesn’t work for me but I do buy other products. I love the Dow bathroom cleaner; scrubbing bubbles and all that. I’m sure I could run down the list and find something they sell that I will no longer buy.

I’m not going to call it a boycott. Nor am I asking for a boycott of those companies, although I will admit it would be nice. I’m simply distrustful of a company that has such horrible math that they would cater to 160,000 over 2.2 million.

I also found an old blog post claiming that Beck drove viewers away from CNN. If it’s all Beck’s fault how come his viewership is going up and theirs is still going down? I suppose they must say something to comfort themselves.

Before their demands for accountability per the Huffington Post article, this group is asking for help in the form of contributions. One wonders if they’re willing to bailout the companies they just rolled.

Crossposted to Red State.

P.S. If you want to let Fox know how y0u feel you contact them here:

12 Responses to If They’re So Dumb They Can’t Do Simple Math…

• Jambalaya says:

Very well put. I will be personally writing to Fox News and showing my support for the Glenn Beck show and all the others.

• Steve says:

Amen, Steph! That’s too bad about Lowe’s..I like them…so disappointing. As for the rest of them, they’re all a bunch of squishy girlie men.

Was I imagining things or were there just as many ads running during Beck’s program as usual? I tend to do other things while commercials are on but it didn’t seem all that much different than any other time… no offense to the idiots listed above who obviously can’t do simple math.

I’m glad to see you exercised your First Amendment rights, BB.

The point is not whether anybody likes or dislikes Beck. The point is the attempted interference of someone’s right to that amendment you exercised so easily in opposition.

Not to mention the interference with others in that attempt to prevent someone from exercising one of their civil rights.

You don’t have to like Beck and you don’t have to like Fox to know this is very wrong. If you can’t defend that right for someone other than yourself, who will defend you when it’s your turn?

There’s this thing called the Golden Rule that says do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Our leaders should be leading as examples of this rule. Since what they’re doing is pretty mean and nasty, I suppose when the political pendulum swings back the other way, we should treat them as they’re treating us now?

First amendment should be an individual thing, not groupthink. Yesterday a nice young lady called for the ‘pharmaceutical group’ inquiring about my Medicare Part D (private prescription plan). Without waiting for an opinion, she urged me to write to my congressman supporting them. Since my rates have tripled in the last three years, the company reported 28% profits and their CEO garnered $2.3 million in compensation, I gave her a piece of MY mind….besides, I’ve already written my senator! Time for my Tylenol fix…. As for Glenn Beck, he is enigmatic, IMO.. 🙄

You’re still missing the point, BB. In addition to missing the point, you’re making a sideways accusation that because there are 2.2. million average viewers for Beck’s show that it’s “group think”.

Beck has opinions. He doesn’t tell anybody else how to think but he’s unashamed about sharing his own opinion. BTW, on Monday, his first day back from vacation while that 160,000 member group was doing their level best to get him canned, he netted a little over 2.8 million viewers.

Also, you should really look into the background of those “sponsors” who “pulled” their advertising.

Oh, one more thing… that fellow who died last night is the one who wrote your drug prescription plan and who has his fingerprints all over every piece of major legislation coming out of Congress. Perhaps you should take some time to look at who your pharmaceuticals really feed before blaming it on anybody but them. You should also look at who is really fed by the special interest groups and lobbyists.

Perhaps a lot of people are looking at the way Republicans are handling things in Washington and shaking their heads at the “party of no” but it’s kind of funny that now that they’re no longer providing cover for the Democrats how much light is being shed on what has been going on for a long long time.

“Perhaps you should take some time to look at who your pharmaceuticals really feed before blaming it on anybody but them. You should also look at who is really fed by the special interest groups and lobbyists.” You kidding HB? I run the numbers. Private enterprize does many things efficiently and productively.
    (Like making and selling stuff) Health insurance and pharmeceuticals should at least have minimal interest in customer service in addition to ripping off the poor suckers in this country. A government bureaucrat making med decisions is no worse than a private bureaucrat…and has no interest in making a fat profit. My father-in-law, a lifetime farmer, spends 2/3 his remaining income on health insurance. At present rates, he will be spending 100% in a couple years. Sorry,
    I don’t think its right and I don’t like it and it sure as heck won’t fix itself. As for ‘groupthink’, I mean no insult that folks are led around by some entertainer, but rather that entertainer speaks to their common position. I don’t have an entertainer I agree with and just have my own odd strong opinion. 😉 We need understand that if health insurance profits were on a par with grocery profits, our payouts would be about half…you know like ALL the other countries?

BB, you’re still missing the point and you said something wrong, too.

If that’s true, how come so many come out of D.C. a whole lot richer than when they went in?

I don’t disagree on the insurance companies or the pharmaceuticals and what they do. However, I don’t believe an untrustworthy government is the answer. If it can’t be managed at a state level and remain solvent (Tenncare for one example), how will it do in a much further removed governmental body with the crooks who are there?

I’ll pray for your Dad. If the health care passes, he won’t have to worry about insurance anymore but then, he probably won’t get to live much longer, either. Some choices, huh?

And yes, the death panels are in there. Not the literal words, but the definition of it is. So is “rationing” in there by definition if not the literal word. I’ve got the house bill and a line by line list with which to work.

22.8 million viewers…..hmmmm….doesn’t that make Glenn Beck just another one of talking heads who comprise the “mainstream media” you so despise….He like the rest is just out to make a buck….for example there is video of him about a year ago blasting the existing healthcare system (he was sick by the way)…..but now he is blasting the change that is proposed……that is the thing about the Repubs and healthcare they will all sit and say the healthcare systems needs changes but not the “socialized medicine” that is being proposed…but funny this has been an issue for a long time….and If I remember right since 1980 there has only been 8 1/2 years with a democrat for president and nothing was done about healthcare during that time with the exception of the Clinton try….Seems to me the Republicans talk on reform needed is just a bunch of talk. They just don’t want anything to happen they like it just as it is. They are just the party of NO and do nothing because it will take care of itself……

The revolution has been televised….Black in America baby….

August 2009