untitled-26 The Tennessean  estimates 2,800 to 3,000 people attended the rally, according to Metro spokeswoman Kris Mumford. The highest estimate is 7500.  Only once was it tense during the entire 2+ hours I was there. I don’t know who was speaking at the time because I couldn’t see or recognize the voice but the announcer mentioned that some of the state legislators had joined us at which point someone behind me started booing. Someone else piped in to cut it off with a USA chant which everybody on the plaza joined in, then a singing of the national anthem. Some fellow looked at me a little funny because I was singing along. Well, I am one of those crazy hillbillies, after all, and he was in a suit. Or perhaps it was just my singing voice, which I’ll be the first to admit isn’t that great.:lol:

I talked to a lot of people and took a lot of pictures. Unfortunately, my stupid cheap camera kept only 26 of them so I picked out a few to upload.

untitled-17 Of course, Fred had to be there, if just in spirit.

untitled-19 A real scary terrorist.

untitled-15 This guy has the right idea.

untitled-3 A partial view of the crowd who showed up. There were more on the side from which the picture was taken. Plus, this was early. People were still arriving.

One of the pictures that wasn’t saved was a group of teens with bandanas covering their faces. I sidled up to one and asked what all that was about. He said it was a school thing; their way of making a statement about what they believe government is.

One of the signs there said: “Born Free, Taxed to Death.” I had to disagree with that one. They’re taxed from the second they’re born now.  As I was fiddling with images, I was listening to the Fox news coverage of the protests. As they often pointed out during that coverage, this was not a conservative movement but an American movement. There were Republicans, Democrats, and Independents in the crowd. It was the same with this one in Nashville. Nor was it a racist endeavor. There were quite a few races and/or cultures represented in the group. I had a conversation with one fellow about his sign and I wish I still had that picture because it was a looooong statement and I fear mangling it. However, from the conservation, I’ve encouraged him to start blogging. I also gave him this web address. If he gets over his fear of technology, I’ll certainly link to his blog. He said he just now learned how to email.

There was a lot of horn honking from passersby. There were also a couple of antique trucks going round the block repetitively with big signs and big flags. I also didn’t save a picture of a man dressed in a kilt holding bagpipes with a sign attached that simply said: Freedom. Some of us weren’t carrying signs but we helped add to the masses.  Others were dressed in Revolutionary and Civil War garb. Not many, but enough to be noticed.

Marsha Blackburn was there. She seemed to be the only politician welcome as she was cheered heartily during her small speech. Overall, people didn’t want to see or hear from the politicians. There were a lot of signs that said: Fire Congress.

The hardest to watch were the young veterans, and there were quite a few, with signs declaring vets are not extremists. On the previous post there is a bit of dialogue about that but I’d like to continue it here. Since before the 2006 Congress, our military has been villified. Murtha called some of them murderers and never retracted in spite of the fact they exonerated. In the previous post a commenter pointed out there was also one against left wing extremists. A reading of both documents show the stark differences. If opposing Obama’s and Congress’ confiscatory policies makes me a right wing extremist, I’ll wear the name with pride. “When government is big enough to give you everything, it’s also big enough to take everything away from you.”  Only God should have the ability to do that. Never government.

12 Responses to Right wing extremists

• Toni says:

It really was an amazing afternoon wasn’t it? Shame on the media for undermining it’s strength and impact. Franklin also had a strong turnout. Beyond expectations. Loved your writeup. I’m just too punch tired to write anything or post anymore photos. Thank Kate for the link.

• Mike gamecock DeVine says:

Great report Steph! I missed the parties due to litigation and court work here in ATL but have enjoyed all the updates.

Toni, the Tennessean claims 4000 for Franklin and still hasn’t retracted the gross underestimation of the Nashville one and to cap it off, they claimed a paltry 30,000 for the entire nation.

BB, it was fun but there were moments when I cried as well. I never got in very close to where the speakers were, that’s how crowded it was, but what went on in the fringes was awesome.

rubyslippers, I wish I had more and believe me, next time, I’ll have a better camera. I don’t do much photography on the whole so I thought that cheap thing would be plenty good enough but, man, I was so disappointed!!!

Thanks, GC. Not everybody could be there but I worked hard to make sure I had the free time. We all know you were with us in spirit.

There were 600 here (area about 50,000). Which is not real big, but they were enthusiastic. Only things that seem to get folks out up this way is the rodeo. 😆

Steph,

“ex·trem·ist (k-strmst)
    n.
    One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.

Once again I need a little help here…..Yeah I grabbed this definition online and yes its a little cheesy…but what can I say….the question is though what is considered the norm…I am going to try and be careful because I don’t want you to call me a racist again….I’m still a little hurt about that…..it seems to me that the majority of Americans voted the new POTUS in to try something different…no I don’t like where our tax dollars are going either but we didn’t get in this situation overnight and it surprises me that it is expected the policies being implemented should work overnight……the tea parties are a good thing and that is why we live in america because everyone should have a voice…..and to be called extremist can be a compliment remember Martin Luther King was considered an extremist….oh…..was that racist…..so you never did tell me what’s the difference exyremist/conservative/republican…..I really want to know from your point of view……help me out….

Black in America Baby…The revolution has been televised…..

Bruce, you keep saying this is extremist, right wing, whatever… how about this?

An extremist isn’t necessarily of any political affiliation. I consider ACORN more extremist than any the the tea party protestors.

I’ve also pointed out several times that the protest wasn’t a Republican thing or even a conservative thing. There were all political affiliations, races, and cultures represented. Yet, you still come back with this vague stuff like you’re so dumb.

You keep playing dumb but you’re a lot smarter than you try to pretend you aren’t. I’d rather talk with you up straight than all this mishy mashy stuff you try to pass off as the best you can do. I know better because I’ve seen better from you.

Steph,

“Bruce, you keep saying this is extremist, right wing, whatever… ”

Do you really read what I say or do you pick out “sound-bites” ….I never said anything about the tea-parties being extremist….In fact I said, “the tea parties are a good thing”…. It’s title of this post “Right Wing Extremist”….that brought up the subject in the first place….I was just aksing you to make it clear to me the differences in your definitions since you tell me that republicans/conservatives/right wing extremist are not all one in the same..bye the way I don’t think they are…I just wanted to hear your definition (and anyone else that wants to comment) Yopu should really read what I said….

Bruce, do you read what you write or do you just think nobody gets it because you’re being clever pretending to be stupid?

I answered your question plus the definition of who is an extremist is that of the DHS Secretary, not mine, but if that’s how the government wants to see it, I’ll wear the name with pride. I’m sorry if that confuses you but that’s your problem, not mine.

• mickey says:

Why was Marsha Blackburn there, she is Part of the Problem.
    conomic Stimulus. H.R. 5140, the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, passed 385-35 on January 29, 2008 (Roll Call 25). It would provide about $150 billion in economic stimulus, including $101.1 billion in direct payments of rebate checks (typically $600) to most taxpayers in 2008 and temporary tax breaks for businesses. Creating money out of thin air and then spending the newly created money cannot improve the economy, at least not in the long term. (If it could, why not create even more money for rebates and make every American a millionaire?) The stimulus has no offset and thus increases the federal deficit by the amount of the stimulus because the government must borrow the rebate money. A realistic long-term stimulus can only be achieved by lowering taxes through less government and by reducing regulatory burdens.Marsha Blackburn voted FOR this bill.(Source: The New American – July 21, 2008)

Marsha Blackburn is my Congressman.
    She is no conservative.
    See her unconstitutional votes at :
    Mickey

Fiscal 2003 Omnibus Appropriations.The final version (conference report) of House Joint Resolution 2 would provide $397 billion in fiscal 2003 for all Cabinet departments and government agencies covered in 11 unfinished spending bills from the 107th Congress. The bills included are: Agriculture, Commerce-Justice-State, District of Columbia, Energy and Water Development, Foreign Operations, Interior, Labor-HHS-Education, Legislative Branch, Transportation, Treasury-Postal Service, and VA-HUD. The problem with the omnibus approach is that thousands of unconstitutional activities are lumped together with legitimate legislation in one massive bill.Thus, big government is perpetuated with a minimum of accountability. The House adopted the conference report on H. J. Res. 2 on February 13, 2003 by a vote of 338 to 83 (Roll Call 32). Marsha Blackburn Voted FOR this bill. 108-1 (Source: The New American, July 14, 2003)

mickey, I agree in part, but, I believe Blackburn has learned from her mistakes whereas some, such as Lamar Alexander will never learn.

In spite of that, I don’t think any politicians should have been given any voice time. They have failed the American people utterly.

April 2009