It is what it is and we have to adapt. Unfortunately, for you idiots out there who supported this, any sympathy I might have felt has went the same way as the resentment and anger. This stimulus bill is the biggest government power grab in the country’s history and there are already reports of it being followed by another just like while we’re still awaiting TARP II, the regular appropriations bill, and other planned indignities to be imposed on the people.

I have no sympathy for the Wall Street, banks, or investors. I’m not an economist but investing and the stock market have always reminded me of gambling. When you invest in a company or a number of them, you’re betting that you’ll make more than you bet, the same way you bet on craps, the roulette wheel, poker, or slots. If you can’t afford to lose, you don’t bet it, right?

It’s not about who makes 100 times more money than I do or who flies where in a private jet or gets rewarded with trips to Vegas or any of that for me. It’s about trust. If you’re watching the Dow, there’s little of it to be found in the economy. Eventually, everything will be nationalized and the transfer of wealth will continue unabated until there is no wealth left anywhere in the country except for the “shining city on the hill.” The reason it will be still shining is because it will be the only place left with the money to pay the utility bills. But everybody should be happy then, right? We’ll all be the same.

I’ll confess, I’ve never cared about being rich. I’ve never envied the rich. The rich have their own problems just as those of us on the other end of the economic ladder have problems. It may look glamorous and carefree from the outside but that’s only if you ignore all the media and the papparazzi uncovering the latest scandals with which most seem afflicted. I’m at a point where I can’t understand people who are envious of such when there are infinitely more important things with which to concern one.

But then, I never saw myself as a political activist either, yet, here I am.

You were warned that Obama is nothing but an empty suit. Slightly less than a month in office, that has never been more apparent. He doesn’t even know all that’s in the bill he just signed and I hear he will now have answers fed to him via his teleprompter so that it looks as if he knows what he’s talking about when somebody asks him a question that, as president he should know, but in reality has no idea what the heck the reporter is talking about. Can’t have the messiah stumbling and bumbling can we?

Still, Obama is doing what Obama knows best: campaigning. Leave it to Obama to use hundreds of thousands of dollars to fly to Denver… not to mention all those carbon offsets that will need to be purchased for that jaunt… for a public signing of the goverment powergrab while touting “green” power. Frankly, I’m quite weary of seeing him on TV giving yet another campaign speech as if he doesn’t realize the campaigning is over, he got the job, and it’s time to work. It’s hard to believe that, once upon a time, while not agreeing with anything he had to say, it was still enjoyable to hear him giving speeches. He is fairly gifted with scripted oratory. However, off the cuff responsiveness leaves a lot to be desired.

Yesterday, someone tried to deliver a dressing down to me for admitting I’m flirting with the thought of no longer being a Republican. That person accused me of that because of the stimulus bill and the three RINOs who voted for it and I shouldn’t be like that because the bulk of the Republicans stood strong.

I replied that I was encouraged by that but this one act doesn’t wipe away the history of the past few years when many of those in Congress were the leadership who lost both houses in 2006. If the Republican party doesn’t want to represent conservatives and conservatism, that’s fine. They don’t have to but, on the flipside, they shouldn’t expect conservatives to fall in with them at the same time they tell us to sit down and shut up.

Yes, Lindsey Graham opposed the stimulus bill stating all the right reasons but two years ago he called us all bigots and racists when we opposed the shamnesty bill. Yes, John McCain also opposed the stimulus bill but he cursed out a fellow Republican who questioned his knowledge of what was actually in the bill since McCain was off on the campaign trail. And Snowe, Specter, and Collins were paid for their votes for the government powergrab bill. I just can’t call it stimulus anymore, not when every job created is time limited but going to cost about 5 times the actual wage of any one job created. What price democracy? Ask them but I doubt they’ll tell you. They were merely being bipartisan, after all.

There’s an infrequent commenter here who likes to use the phrase “the revolution has been televised” in reference to Obama’s presidential win. He’s wrong. The real revolution is just beginning and you can consider me officially a rebel.

52 Responses to Resentment and Anger Over the Economy? Not Anymore.

• JJ says:

Wow! My thoughts 100% exactly straight down the line! Add one more rebel to the conservative cause.

When Republicans first resisted the Bank Bailout I was still seeing a “R” next to me, but when the majority of republicans caved and bailed out Wall Street, any party affiliation was lost for me.

The only candidate I will support is the candidate who voted against the Wall Street Bailout, against the Auto Bailout AND against this Spendulous package.

My regret is that I threw support to McCain because I thought he had a better chance to win overall than Ron Paul. Looking back on it, I will forever spend the rest of my existence supporting guys like Ron Paul even though they may not win majority.

I am done with this fiasco and you are right, there is a revolution brewing. Conservatism will win out in the end.

Thanks for the great read and if there is ever a “truly” political conservative party (no, not repulbican), I will do as much as a physically and financially can to make that party heard.

• xsd4tex says:

StephC, after this past election in which the GOP lost the presidency and seats in both houses of congress just what does a rebel mean other than just saying “no” to everything as all of the House and most of the Senate Republicans have been doing?

“The real revolution is just beginning and you can consider me officially a rebel.” What form of rebellion are you talking about and exactly how would a rebel go about fixing the growing debt problems in our country?

My opinion is that our country is broke because of a cultural mind-set over the last 20 years that accepted that more is never enough.

Consider this: if you have one credit card which is maxed out at $10,000 and you make only the minimum payment how long do you think it would take to pay it off completely? Assume that the interest rate estimate of 8% and finance charges also take about 1/3 of your minimum payment and assume that you never use that card for another purchase.

Whatever comes out of Washington at this point isn’t even a drop in the bucket when you consider that the economic collapse is global. Without global markets to export to and import from the free market economics is tapped out.

The index economists use for measuring the health of the economy is consumer spending. Consumer spending, they say, accounts for two-thirds of all gross domestic product (GDP). But, all too many people have more than one credit card and banks continued keep handing them out like candy. Consumers continued to max out all of them as long as banks kept priming the “sky’s the limit” growth mentality.

Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, “Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.”

We’re borrowed out and we’re loaned out. No bailout is going to be big enough to solve this calamity. Just be glad it’s Obama and the Democrats who are going to take all the heat, not the Republicans — at least for the next two years.

But, just saying “no” will not sit well with the voters in two more years either because this economic meltdown didn’t just happen in 30 days. It took decades of avarice and ignoring the reality that at some point, whatever you borrow must be paid back.

Voters also understand that “tax cuts forever” have proven to be a total failure because the capital generated from those tax cuts (if there was that much capital anyway since most of it was borrowed) during 8 years of the Bush era went not to America, but to China. That was one of the McCain-Palin solutions that the voters rejected on November 4, 2008.

I’m not sure how much difference there is between a rebel and a maverick but the ranks of the GOP have been squeezed further into the red state wilderness, most of which is represented by the Old Confederacy, unless of course, you can see Russia from your backyard. In that case, you might be just a maverick.

So, is your answer to keep letting the government do what its doing? The borrow and spend policies are not going to stop until they’re forcibly stopped by the bankruptcy of the entire nation. McCain wouldn’t have stopped it either. None of them will, Republicans and Democrats alike.

Being a rebel means not going along with the flow. Being a maverick means you do it alone while there can be any number of rebels until such time when the rebels outnumber those who are going with the flow.

Hubby and I have taken some big hits the last couple of years… really big ones. I got angry about it and I believe I have a right to be angry about it. But not once have I looked for a handout from anyone… not once.

Right now, I don’t care about the GOP unless the GOP suddenly wakes up and starts doing things right… and not just for a photo op. It’s all about words and actions. John McCain is as guilty of words not fitting actions as anybody else. When their actions fit the words they’re using on a consistent basis then I’ll listen but not before.

I know what caused this economic crisis as well as you do so lecturing me about it is not going to fix anything. And harping on Bush’s spending doesn’t account for the lack of spending that Clinton did in crucial areas that are the responsibility of government nor does it account for the fact they the Clinton years contributed greatly to bankrupting social security. And who got the most money from China? Can you tell me that? Or other places that really aren’t all that friendly to western culture?

So, what I’m saying is I’m done with all politicians unless/until they start backing up their words with the matching actions.

Just saying no isn’t going to work for everything but “bipartisanship” is the true failure. I’m tired of being bullied by a government that’s supposed to be working for me, not the reverse, which is what Washington is constantly telling us with their taxes and other means of grabbing over half of every dollar we work to earn.

And as long as government is setting the example its setting most people will do exactly what you say they’re doing with the credit cards, mortgages, and flashy cars.

So, yes, I’m a rebel and going to stay that way until there’s no reason to be one anymore.

Well, you COULD be a maverick, according to the thesaurus..synonyms for rebel include:
    anarchist
    nonconformist
    oddball
    radical
    revolutionary
    rioter
    southerner
    unorthodox …I guess since ‘oddball’ is in that column, I will have to join you as a ‘rebel’ 😆

I guess that makes three of us… at least… then.

• xsd4tex says:

StephC, ” I got angry about it and I believe I have a right to be angry about it. But not once have I looked for a handout from anyone… not once.”

You have a right to be angry as do all of us who worked hard, played by the rules and are now seeing multitudes of people, corporations, banks, auto companies all lining up for a piece of the pie which by the time it’s divvied up will amount to only a few crumbs anyway.

I worked for over 46 years and at times I thought I was at a dead-end street, especially after I got out of the Air Force at the ripe age of 22.

One time while looking for a job I applied for unemployment benefits but was denied them because I claimed truthfully that I was going to school during the day and did not want to take a job unless it was evening. The State worker was right though. She said if you’re looking for meaningful work you should be willing to take any job that was offered with no consideration for special privileges like going to school. That was my one and only time I ever applied for unemployment benefits.

You stated, “And harping on Bush’s spending doesn’t account for the lack of spending that Clinton did in crucial areas that are the responsibility of government nor does it account for the fact they the Clinton years contributed greatly to bankrupting social security.”

If you read my post a little closer I said, ” It took decades of avarice and ignoring the reality that at some point, whatever you borrow must be paid back.”
    Yes, decades includes Bill Clinton whom I’ve never expressed any fondness for either on this forum or anywhere else.

No, I don’t have any solutions except one totally unlikely and that is to cancel all debts and start over with a clean slate.

Not only is that too simple but it is totally unrealistic. But, so is the fantasy that somehow pumping tens of billions into Care packages for everyone going to solve the long term pain.

Yes, xsd, you did say decades but you singled out Bush which seems to be a habit with a lot of people but if people keep doing that and nobody calls them on not naming others, nobody, absolutely nobody, goes any further back than Bush.

As for the rest, I have no quarrel and we’re in agreement for the most part, even that last paragraph. 😆

You might be interested in something: http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/02/who_are_the_big_spenders.html

It seems Bush might not have been the profligate spender he was made out to be. Oh, yes, he did spend some but what he did was a molehill made into a mountain.

Bush? Spending? really ? Like Reagan, he spent big, while cutting taxes. Increases deficit..in Bush’s case, doubles it. The interest on that debt..
    yikes!! Luckily, us rebels don’t have party allegiance!

BB, no matter how you look at it, Obama has doubled that Bush double in one month. At the rate he’s going, he’s going to see Bush’s double and his own doubling with another since he’s already calling for another stimulus bill in addition to the TARPII and the newest thing of yet another 275 billion for mortgages and that’s before 6 months in office. All things considered, does anybody have any idea what the next four years are going to look like in that case?

If you followed that link I provided, Bush didn’t do that bad as a percentage of the GDP. In addition, he wasn’t going to ask for the second half of the TARP funds unless Obama asked for them… which Obama did both by his own letter to Congress and through Bush who was still in office at the time.

Now, I’m not all rah-rah Bush. Indeed, there were a lot of things he did that I didn’t agree with but when I see what the Dems have done in two short years, I’m that much gladder to have had Bush in office than Kerry or Gore.

BDS has gone way over the top. There is no way anybody can be everything that man has been called from the dumbest of the dumb to the smartest evil genius in the world to have concocted the 9/11 tragedy.

At some point people are going to have to come down to earth and separate the man from the myths that have been perpetrated. I think when they do that, they’ll find he’s been neither the worst or the best but simply somebody handed something he was in no way prepared to deal with and did the best he can… unlike Obama who doesn’t even try but lets someone else do it while he campaigns.

I provided the most conservative source on the subject. If they have BDS, …perhaps it isn’t a syndrome? As for Obama and the great recession, he has the choice of doing nothing, or attempting to de-rail it before we tank. You may be correct, even throwing $$$$ at the situation may not help. We tend to blame our leaders for our economy and depending on our POV if it goes bad we blame either the current leader or the previous..Reagan blamed Carter, Clinton blamed Reagan, Bush blamed Clinton, etc. There are some thinkers believe that politcal administrations have little or no effect on economics…that econ is driven by world wide factors beyond political control. ‘Bailouts’ go back a long way: some work and some don’t. IMO, if no one is working, no one is buying: no buyers, no sellers…a negative feedback cycle that tends to worsen. There is another school of thought that such situations can only be rectified by going to war. I think we got serious economic problems, though, and I sure don’t have the answer….

I’m not an economist nor an investor so you take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

I know you’ve talked about how your 401k is almost worthless now and I hate it for you but… get what is left out and cut your losses. It may not be worth much now but in another year it will be worth nothing. If you feel you need to invest in something and build it back up put it in something that you can capitalize on 5-6 years from now. Don’t buy government bonds, don’t invest in anything in which the government has a hand… that’s the hardest thing in the world to do right now since they have their hands in everything but…

The thing is: This stimulus bill is not meant to be a stimulus at all. The realities of that are slipping out more every day.

I cannot harp enough on the cliche: Words and Actions. No matter what the publicly stated intents are, it’s the actions that provide the end results.

Congress writes the check. Obama handed this off to people who don’t care about the country except for what they can grab from it. Yes, that’s a reason to blame our leaders, including Bush, because he did the same.

When I mentioned BDS, I wasn’t talking just about the economy but everything. There is such hate against him that it’s unreal. Yes, criticize him for the things he does wrong but the hate is way over the top. I don’t think Bush did blame Clinton for the economy. He pointed out some policies that aided in the housing bubble that finally burst but active criticism, no.

People are buying, actually, certainly more than is being reported. The problem is, they’re not going after the luxury items anymore but working on those things that will have a better “shelf life” and see them through hard times ahead. Even if they don’t understand in their conscious minds why they’re doing this, on a subconscious level they understand their future survival depends on it. Freezers are selling, as well as other items that normally don’t get a lot of attention in an unanxious society. If you want to invest in them, don’t invest GE but perhaps Haier or some offbrand not manufactured by GE.

Stop, take stock of what is and what isn’t in reality, not what you hope for, adapt and think about what direction to go from here and you’ll be fine.

Actually, my 401K is fine, although many are tanking badly. Being a lib, and having worked for private enterprize my whole life….I don’t trust the market..I
    put 85% into fixed annuities five years ago. They are still growing. My financial advisor said at the time,
    “I have never seen anyone so cautious”. Well, gosh,
    working with initiating explosives for 30 years sort of makes you that way! So we are doing fine. But, being a lib means worrying about other folk..the empathy thing we get excoriated on. There was a time when you could trust the market system to fix itself. Now, like I said, I don’t know. Consider ‘people buying’..
    Walmart/Toyota….giant sucking sound all the way to the far east. There are a lot of things to consider….

I feel bad for them, too. The problem isn’t that conservatives don’t feel anything, it’s that in spite of what we feel we know some things work and some things don’t and wishful thinking is not going to make them work no matter how much you wish it was different.

If you read what I had to say about investing up in the post, you can see I don’t trust the market, either, but a lot of people have to their detriment. I can’t help them with that nor can the government although they can pretend to do so. Be that as it may, the government is saying this monstrosity they put into law is a stimulus but it isn’t. The Dow bears that out. It will however, make those who believed in the market that much more dependent on the government who will not only take over the market but hold open the pockets of us all.

On another site, we got into a discussions of hillbillies. I can survive in the least likely of places… not that I want to… but I can. I might not be living like that right now and I really do appreciate my creature comforts but knowing that I can survive just about any kind of disaster that happens baring outright death, is really comforting right now. I won’t like it and sincerely hope it never happens, but if it does…

About a year ago, I commented at the old HangRight that the Dow Av., then at 13,000, would drop to 9000.
    Because I thought the economic signs were more dire than Wall Street and the admin thought. So, when the Dow spiraled down to 9000, I was mad it did, but happy I was correct….now it is sliding down past 7,200 ……and I am never prediciting again! 😥

I hear y, BB, and can’t blame you. The problem is that people are getting out of the stock market and it only makes sense. Nobody wants to talk about that but we’ve seen this happen before haven’t we?

Obama is talking about taxes going up on the more affluent, nationalizing banks, and other companies like AIG which already is nationalized, and the government having preferred stock.

The more there is this kind of talk the lower the stock market is going to go. Not only do the investors know they’re low on totem pole for stock dividends, they also know what they have can be taxed only once if it’s not making any more profit from its possession.

And then, when the rich don’t play ball by Obama’s rules, we’re next.

IMO, our problem is our shrinking manufacturing base
    (down from 32% GDP to 11% in the last 15 years; and
    buying all our stuff from overseas..terrible balance of trade. Can’t continue to run that way. I haven’t seen a politician of any stripe attempt to address that. BTW,
    here is an interesting kid I think you would like 🙂

A few have, BB. The problem is they’re not getting attention. Protectionism isn’t the answer to the problem, however. The answer is how to make our manufacturing competitive with the rest of the world’s manufacturing.

We can’t do that and continue to put regulations on top of regulations on our factories and producers.

As for the link: Even a 14 year old gets it. How hard is it for the politicos to understand?

“How hard is it for the politicos to understand?” Good question. So, who is right, Limbaugh or Steele ? (No wonder you’re a rebel… 🙄

”..a mere “entertainer” whose show is “incendiary” and “ugly.” Absolutely true, even if way too polite.
    Limbaugh should apologize!! 😆 😆

That sounds like a challenge and I’m game.

I challenge you to find one thing that Rush has said that is uglier or more incendiary than even the mildest of things said against him or any other conservative for that matter.

Look at what the left did to Bush, for crying out loud, and he’s not even a conservative.

No challenge, please..if you want, Google Limbaugh dumb quotes (785,000). Just thinking of that third grade mind, Jabba the Hutt body piece of loudmouth ignoramus makes me….er, do I have to apologize? 😀

Well, I dunno about Bush not being a conservative..he was kind of unliberal. I like him much better than Rush. Don’t know much about Steele, but when the RNC leadership has to go on bended knee before
    the mighty ThroneOfRush….I really feel sorry for the conservatives. 😥

Bb, the point is that for anybody who thinks Rush is incendiary and ugly, so what? The left has done and said far worse and for them to judge anyone else as lacking is so laughable it’s actually sad. Steele fell into a liberal trap, like most of us who have been conditioned to bend over and take whatever the left deals out. So, yes, he owed Limbaugh an apology and those of us who happen to like and agree with him.

The left is not going to see this country right again, not as the America in which we grew up. It’s going to change it into something it’s not and along the way it’s going to tell us that the individual has no right to exist.

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, we’re being told to assimilate or die. Resistance is futile. A lot will assimilate just because they don’t want to die and therein is the death of the individual as all power goes to the center.

Where is the tolerance that the left is always pushing? Political correctness killed it.

Some things you probably don’t know about Rush might change your mind. For one, he’s one of the kindest men you’ll ever meet. Sure, he gets cocky but when you’re right 97% of the time, you have a right to be cocky. He’s also one of the biggest optimist in this country and no matter what, put his faith in God and the American people. So, tell me, what’s so ugly and incendiary about that?

To follow Obama, you have to be of the opinion that this country was wrong from its inception because he aims to destroy it and make it into something else. Word and actions tell the tale. I can’t do that. For all it’s problems, it’s the greatest, strongest country that has ever existed.

That’s fine. I’m just not a dittohead. We need keep in mind that most of us prefer to put our people before big business. You know, like Thomas Jefferson?
    As for “assimilate or die”…remember, a lot of us lived through Reagan, Bush & Bush…and hated it…but we didn’t assimilate and we didn’t die. Neither will Rush and you… 🙂

As for GOP leaders having to constantly apologize to Rush, it just looks sad. Can you imagine Dem leaders always apologizing to Al Franken, Micheal Moore or Rosie O’Donnell?

Some deaths aren’t quantifiable by measuring whether a body is still breathing and moving. There is a death of the soul that will take place long before the body mechanisms expire.

Just for you, I’d like you to look up the Democrats’ campaign donations. Those lists read like a who’s getting bailed out list. When you’re done, I’d like you to think about something.

You’re educated and retired after working a decent paying job for many years. Are you now, suddenly too dumb to take care of yourself; so dumb that you need the government to do it for you?

Also, have you ever heard of the term enabling? It’s usually used in psychology when talking about addictions, abuse, and co-dependency. The more you bailout and give stuff to people, the more you enable them to continue doing things that bring about the conditions where you have to do more of the bailing out and giving to. Where does it end? Only when all parties involved hit rock bottom. You see that over and over in addiction counseling and abusive households. Only when everybody concerned hits rock bottom will things change for the better. Some, even when they hit rock bottom never change until the day they die.

Why go there when it’s unnecessary? Why bring everybody down to that level instead of forcing those at that level to fend for themselves? In the end they will be better off and self-reliant rather than “too dumb” to make their own decisions.

Life is messy and not very fair to most of us. Depending on the government won’t change that., although government would like you to think that it will.

Indeed there is a phenomenon termed ‘enabling’. As it relates to lib/con POV, it seems in one case we enable homeless folks (including a lot of ex-vets!) or
    a bunch of really wealthy bank folk. As for “You see that over and over in addiction counseling and abusive households. Only when everybody concerned hits rock bottom will things change for the better.” Yup..and if you live out here where each abusive familty head has a collection of assault weapons that would make a regiment happy, rock bottom is when the family is murdered, then the folks in the courthouse, then the locals running out with their fire arms, then the cops..the guy saves the last one for himself. (Note to abusive idiot guy…use the first round, dammit!). But, the economy is definitely tanking and we (they) and the experts don’t seem to have a clue…even the GOP wants to throw $$$, which it may need, I dunno. Then,
    our 85% GOP Idaho legislature and GOP Gov want to raise our gasoline tax!! When both of us dems complain they sic coyotes on us….which is why Idaho is the reddest state in the big U! Regarding “As for putting people first, though you may not believe it, that’s what conservatives, real conservatives, do.”
    I would like to think so…my problem is there seem to be so many different kinds of conservatives..I mean, look at you guys going at it. Which is good if y’all can come together…well, good in the sense for your side, if ya get my take.

I, for one, am in favor of letting them go bankrupt rather than bail them out. Then the individuals shorted by these companies can take the ring leaders into court on class action suits and at least recoup some of their losses. The way things are right now, they’re going to get zip, zilch, nada. The government will get first and if things continue the way they’re going the government is the only party who will get as they nationalize each and every business that gets down on bended knee for a handout.

And that goes for the GOP, too! Bunch of good for nothings, all of them from both sides of the aisle… with a very few exceptions.

I’m all for helping out people who can’t help themselves, who may need a hand up to bring them back into sound communities and self reliance. However, that’s where I part company with libs. I don’t believe an able bodied person, sound of mind, should be allowed to exist on a government subsistence by virtue of having kids out of wedlock and papa just went on his way. These people need help but not infinite financial support. They need to be empowered and shown there is a better way.

Are any of them better off because the rich are being made to pay more? Are you? Is anybody? Other than the government has more money to spend on frivolities, that is.

Remember, I said that some hit rock bottom and still don’t change. Those are the ones with the arsenals and armed with stupidity.

Have you been following this AIG mess? They are into their 4th bailout in the last couple of months. “Too Big To Fail”. I haven’t figured that one out yet…but I suspect it may involve a great deal of offshore $$$.
    You know, I’ve always had a problem with big huge
    corporations…its like they get this inertia and wallow in their own huge mess. As I’ve noted here before, the backbone, the driver, the innovator, the efficient, the job producer is and will continue to be…small business!
    (IMHO, of course)

I happen to agree with you on that. yet for some reason it’s people like me who are getting told we have to bail out our competition, so to speak. We offer a good solid service, extremely solid. Most of our customers have been with us for years, at least half of them since the start but we don’t grow because people always move on from our site to bigger flashier overpromising ones and when they are disappointed they don’t think about us but move on the next bigger, flashier overpromising one.

Yes, big business should fail when it becomes unresponsive to the people who keep them in business: the customer. But, no… the government must bail them out.

As I’ve noted here before, the backbone, the driver, the innovator, the efficient, the job producer is and will continue to be…small business!”

A lady friend of mine used to describe her husband as her heart and her children as the beats of her heart…I think this can be applied to the business community….big business is the heart and small business is the beats of the heart…..I used to work at the very big microprocessor manufacturer Intel…the had a chart showing all of the small businesses that had been spun off or started by former employees/ventures….Intel itself was itself a small business at one time…..if things work as they are suppose to small business grows into large businesses and then spins-off or supports small businesses…what went wrong was the banking and financial took advantage of the lack of regulation which was suppose to allow them the freedom to grow….we talk about Madoff (did I spell that right) and his ponzi scheme but if you really take a look at it this economy over the last thirty years has been build on the biggest ponzi scheme ever…its called credit….and when the credit dried up ponzi schemes like Madoff and AIG alike found themselves in trouble…..because if the current economic crisis had not happened when it did Madoff would still be operating…Its not AIG that I worry about so much but it is those small businesses that were spun-off or dependent upon AIG that will really be hurt….no I don’t like bailing out big business but just like Madoff it will be the smaller businesses/stakeholders who will really be hurt….

The revolution has been televised……

By the way Steph..I am not wrong about the revolution just like I haven’t been wrong about anything I comment about….Just like I told everyone McCain would be the repub candidate and loose to Obama a year before it happened……

Bruce, you’re wrong. You were right about McCain only because McCain did it to himself. He didn’t lose by that much, 52%-48%. So, where’s the revolution? It’s happening now, when you hear so many apologizing for voting for Obama, when you hear about tea parties all across the nation, and Obama’s stumbling, bumbling statesmanship.

You mention Madoff. I think you need to take a look here: http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.php?name=Madoff&state=&zip=&employ=&cand=&c2008=Y&sort=N&capcode=8ydn4&submit=Submit

Madoff is a Dem donator as is a good protion of his family. In fact, the part of Wall Street that is reeling is heavily Democratic donors. Citigroup posted a profit today. Bet that won’t make your messiah happy since he has done nothing but talk in a way to make Dow dive ever lower.

Not to mention the fact that everything he says he’s not going to do is what he actually does. Words and actions, Bruce. That’s my mantra now. Words and actions. You can say all the pretty pretty words you want but your actions tell the tale.

I tried to tell you this before. I’ve tried to tell others this before. And what I got for the trouble was labeled racist, although you, particularly, tried to do it in a roundabout way.

He should still be in the Senate. He keeps blaming everything on Bush, even though he voted for most of it while he was in the Senate. In fact, he had a huge role in the TARP since he was called off the campaign trail to deal with it. But we’re not supposed to remember that, are we? It happened months ago, after all.

“Citigroup posted a profit today. Bet that won’t make your messiah happy since he has done nothing but talk in a way to make Dow dive ever lower.” Good for Citygroup. Wonder if the $50 billion we gave them this time helped. Geeez! Citygroup is one of the major political contributers, playing both sides of the aisle
    50/50. Their largest depostors are the middle east and Singapore. One good thing about TARP..it put
    gov’t in charge of saving Citigroup, rather than the misfits that ran it into the ground. Remember the great depression? Margins & banks..margins & banks…. 😥

They should have just been let go belly up. Some other more viable company would have bought out the assets, one of which is a loan to me (car note) which I’ve managed to keep paid in spite of everything that has happened.

What’s really sad is that most of those bailed out are having regrets now when they see what it means to have the government take over.

And the government buying into them with our money. How much of that money you think we’ll see even if Citi and the others pay back every penny plus interest? Nada, zip, zilch.

I read somewhere that the small local banks are doing just fine. IMO, when they start buying each other up, selling each other bundled leveraged garbage and forgetting about their base (us little customers), things go badly. Before I retired, I paid off everything..then I put my 401K into a non-profit (Thrivent for Lutherans) and converted most to guaranteed annuities..either smart or darned lucky. I’m doing my best to keep locals employed..the plumber replaced a faucet this week and I found a fellow to replace all my windows.
    But it is tough for most…i’m thinking things will pick up pretty soon. ….good luck!

I believe I mentioned the smaller banks a few posts back and, yes, they are doing just fine. Even my bank which isn’t exactly small but regional seems to be doing just fine.

You hit it right when you talked of the leveraged garbage and we’ve seen the evidence of that in who is and is not being bailed out.

Hubby has embarked upon his new career and we are hopeful, too. I don’t know if I can put a plmber to work or pay to get my windows replaced. I tend to like to do those things myself but I can sure spend the money at a hardware store for the supplies needed. Does that count?

BB, sorry. Haven’t been online for a few days. Threw myself into some work here to keep my mind off separation and the likelihood that hubby won’t get to come home in at the end of the month as was planned, 😥

No, thos old girl thinks her money will be safer in jars buried in the back yard than in a bank or stocks or anything else for that matter.

Sorry to hear that he is gone…glad to hear that he is working. Seems every day more places cutting back.
    Jars in the back yard? I knew a guy kept $10,000 case in his freezer….called it ‘cold cash’.. 😆

Well… at least it will be my money I’m freezing… 😆

Honestly, I’m afraid of banks, even the one I use which doesn’t have a part in the bailouts. As far as I know it doesn’t, anyway. Could be one of those that isn’t being talked about… which is why I’m so paranoid… 😯

• mjB says:

It’s funny how Rep. Bart Gordon calls himself a “blue dog” but is basically walking in lock-step with the expansion of government while also wasting taxpayer money on trips to Europe for him and his wife.

mB