Yes, folks, we are being herded toward communism. I can’t even call it the gentler version named socialism. With a few strokes of a pen Obama has effectively signed away our right to make a living outside of joining a union. Since the economy has tanked and jobs are scarce anyway, if you want to work you have to pay a union to do so. This directly affects my husband in the construction field.  We knew it was coming, especially after starting our tax return with hubby having a total of 5 W2s for a one year period only to once again be in a position of no work. This is the worst I’ve ever seen it and my Dad and most of my brothers work the construction field, too, so I grew up in a blue collar world. It’s hard not to be resentful of some things out here in the construction world when you see illegal aliens riding around in brand new trucks, SUVs, and cars but it’s not all their fault. The companies hiring them over American workers are at fault, too.

But that’s neither here nor there at this point. Faced with the reality of the future, hubby, at the great age of 50 made a big decision to change careers. I won’t say what because I know big brother is listening and I hope to stave off his interference at least for a few years. I know at some point, that industry will fall just like the rest when the government realizes it’s oversight.

In the meantime, Pelosi is directly contradicting Obama on the worries about bipartisanship. He wants it; she doesn’t care. She has no fear of losing her seat in that great bastion of democracy: San Fransisco. If this is so, what’s the holdup? Pass the rape of the nation’s future already. With the presidential takeover of the census, one has to wonder if we’re looking at a larger version of Venezuela. It would make sense in view of Pelosi’s uncaring attitude about bipartisanship. If you become a dictatorship under the ruling party, what need is there for it?

Also, in the meantime, Barbara Boxer is fighting to turn our parental rights over to the United Nations. If I read the article right, it’s going to happen. The problem Boxer seems to have is that it’s not happening fast enough to suit her. Perhaps, it’s because some states are moving to counteract the federal consolidation of power against everything our Constitution stands for. Note that there are blue states among those listed. Should Boxer’s wish become a reality, it will effectively supercede all state laws across the nation on parental rights and children.

In other news, there is a lot of wrangling about whether Michael Phelps should be arrested. In a just world, following the rule of law, I’d say he probably should. However, this is not a just world. In a just world, if there is a move to arrest him, they had best follow it up with arrests of 95% of Obama’s cabinet and Obama himself who admitted to snorting coke among partaking of other drugs. When government is not subject to the laws that are imposed upon us, we have a problem.

What happens if there is too much dissendence over this federal takeover? Will we be marched to jail as political prisoners? Will we be euthanized in gas chambers? Think I’m overreacting? Perhaps so, in a sense, but I remind those who have even the slightest remembrance of history (being no historian myself), people then thought some were overreacting to Hitler as well.

Hitler did not become the monster he was overnight and he had plenty of help to enable him. Nor do I believe Obama himself is another Hitler. In fact, given his inability to do anything but sign executive orders rescinding past executive orders and talk, he’s still, to me, just an empty suit. There are, however, lots of strings attached to him and they are being pulled, guiding him in the direction the powers of D.C. want him to go.  A puppet is ever at the command of the puppetmaster. Obama has many masters and it’s beginning to show only a few weeks into his administration. I can’t recall seeing any president fall so fast in the polls as this one has. I don’t believe even Carter fell this qucikly although I haven’t checked to see if that’s an accurate statement or not. While his numbers are still up with a majority approval rating, I don’t believe that rating is going to last much longer at the rate it’s falling.

We’re being sold bills of goods based on stated intents but the lie to the intent is written in the bills themselves; written in such a way that hardly anybody is going to take the time to read them. The handshake method of doing business hasn’t worked for a long time but for some reason we keep falling for that: “my word is my bond” philosophy. In spite of the fact that the majority of the people are against this bill the more they find out about it, it will pass.

I’m ashamed, not just of my fellow citizens, but myself as well. We allowed this to happen, caught up in the materialistic world of wants and wishes and not attending to real life. I’m ashamed of the legacy we are imposing on our children, those who are just beginning to live and those who have not yet been born. We have sold them into bongage in order to delay our own comeuppance.

I was discussing with a friend that I believe God doesn’t care anymore. He upbraided me about it but if He doesn’t, it’s not his fault. We have rejected him time and again and even God’s patience must be at an end.  Yes, the Republicans are fighting… now… but when you see what’s happening it seems so too little, too late. Perhaps, it’s just our time to be in the valley to appreciate when God lifts us up to the mountain tops.

I hope He does still care with all my heart and prayers. If ever there was a time when I hope I am wrong, this is the time when I mean it more than I’ve ever meant it before. Whether its too little, too late or not we have to keep up the fight and keep struggling for the right to self-determination rather than a “one size fits all” world with disembodied overlords determining what is right or wrong, accordingly for their benefit rather than that of humanity. I’d rather go down fighting than meekly accept what looks to be the future.

Update: This reminds me of that old German poem. One wonders if the media is soon to experience buyers’ remorse considering how they decided this last election through how they covered the not only the sitting president but the presidential candidates for 2008.

28 Responses to Perhaps a gentler herding but herding nonetheless.

• Ted says:

Since Obama’s earnest drive to convince the nation to weaken its economic strength through redistribution as well as weaken its national defense, COUPLED WITH HIS UNPRECEDENTED WHITE HOUSE TAKEOVER OF DECENNIAL CENSUS TAKING FROM THE COMMERCE DEPARTMENT, has confirmed the very threats to our Republic’s survival that the Constitution was designed to avert, it no longer is sustainable for the United States Supreme Court and Military Joint Chiefs to refrain from exercising WHAT IS THEIR ABSOLUTE CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY TO DEFEND THE NATION FROM UNLAWFUL USURPATION. The questions of Obama’s Kenyan birth and his father’s Kenyan/British citizenship (admitted on his own website) have been conflated by his sustained unwillingnes to supply his long form birth certificate now under seal, and compounded by his internet posting of a discredited ‘after-the-fact’ short form ‘certificate’. In the absence of these issues being acknowledged and addressed, IT IS MANIFEST THAT OBAMA REMAINS INELIGIBLE TO BE PRESIDENT UNDER ARTICLE 2 OF THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION. Being a 14th Amendment ‘citizen’ is not sufficient. A ‘President’ MUST BE an Article 2 ‘natural born citizen’ AS DEFINED BY THE FRAMERS’ INTENT.

I saw Senator McCain on the news this morning. He said the bailout is not bipartisan. He observed that
    the majority simply ramrod what they want, like the GOP administration did until 2006. McCain insulted the Dems by comparing them to the GOP! Now THAT hurts! 😆

BB, if the shoe fits… He’s right, by the way, but with McCain it’s like the pot calling the kettle… But then, I suppose he would know that best all things considered.

Ted, I don’t think Obama’s citizenship status has anything to do with that particular movement in those states. If it does, it’s not being reported as such. However, I did mention in an earlier blogpost that Obama’s refusal to provide ample evidence could lead to trouble. With or without it, it looks like he’s heading for trouble.

• xsd4tex says:

Seems to me there is much gnashing of teeth even though Barack Obama, the new president has been in office less than 3 weeks.

I doubt if all the gloom and doom expressed by some on this forum could get a whole lot worse, especially if they believe America has suddenly been taken over by Communists and Marxist-Socialists. Isn’t it time to take a breather from this nonsense?

The fact is, we are in deep trouble, not because it’s entirely the fault of government, but because too many have lived beyond their means in a fantasy world in which more is never enough. Greed and envy helped put us where we are today–at all economic levels.

Even the privileged and affluent are suffering because of titanic losses in the stock market. Shakespeare wrote in The Merchant of Venice, “They are as sick that surfeit with too much, as they that starve with nothing.”

So far, the $800 billion being squabbled over is just as ludicrous. The fact is, it’s not even a drop in the bucket compared to the huge job losses and decent paying jobs that will take years, not months, to come back. And that’s if everything gets back on track.

Now, even stalwart Japanese auto makers like Toyota are reporting losses. Pumping a few billion to extend unemployment benefits to those laid off or fired can’t and won’t be a permanent solution. The simple reason: this country is broke and there are no jobs coming on line soon, no matter if the so-called stimulus bill was $2 trillion.

Our political system is broken because it’s so antiquated, partisan and bogged down in mud fights. It is paralyzed and nothing will fix it, not Pelosi, not Reid, not Boehner, not McConnell.

Obama, in spite of all the euphoria of hope, has no honeymoon nor will begging for more bailout money be granted because there’s nobody left to borrow from. All Obama can do is ask the Treasury to print more money, watch inlfation soar and hope Mexican drug lords don’t take over the country since they’re the only ones who seem to be making any money.

Republicans should be glad they are not in charge of either the House, Senate or Executive. They can just sit back, say “no” to everything and hope the public gets so disgusted they’ll boot out the Democrats in 2010.

Then, they can change places for a couple of more years and listen to the Democrats howl like the Republicans are doing today. They can start campaigning for 2012 with Sarah Palin that the Base is so obsessed with. Good luck with that one.

But, for all the End of Days crowd, our destruction is imminent anyway since Dick Cheney has all but invited al Qaeda to attack us and put burqas over the heads of the wide bodies navigating the aisles of Wal-Mart.

If Sarah Palin is vigilant, she might even see them paddling across the Bering Strait on their way to Alaska and head ’em off.

Isn’t it time to take a breather from this nonsense?

What has to happen before it’s no longer considered nonsense? You think that Russia, Germany, and Italy just suddenly woke up one day in that state of government like in the movies that have two hours to show an entire segment of history?

It starts with little things and those little things have been happening for awhile now and are getting larger. While I’m nowhere near a Churchill I find myself feeling a whole lot like he did during his time.

Our system of government isn’t broken because it’s antiquated. It’s broken because the people sent to safeguard this country didn’t do the job they were supposed to do and did everything but what they were supposed to do; on both sides of the aisle, John McCain, your hero, included.

Oh, one other thing, I’m actually favoring Jindal as much as Palin. He’s got the right stuff as does Steele. They can talk as well as chew gum at the same time. Jindal said that Republicans have forgotten what their conservative principles are and that’s why they’re failing and he knows how to TALK conservative principles.

• Gary says:

“That’s the biggest problem with Republicans. They don’t even understand the conservatism they’re supposed to represent let alone talk about those principles in a way people can understand.”

Steph, I am much more confident in our future Reps than I am in the incumbant parisites. Jindal, Steele, Cantor, Palin, Pawlenty all show great promise for the Conservative party.

So am I, Gary. We can only hope it’s not too late to turn the tide when Newsweek is already celebrating our becoming a socialist nation… just like France.

The US debt was $5 trillion when GW and the GOP swept in in 2001. When they left in 2009, it was $10 trillion. That is doggone un-conservative, if ya ask me..
    So, what y’all would like is tiny gov’t, low taxes, huge army, and evangelicals in charge….or what? 😉

BB, Bush might be a Republican but he’s not a conservative. How many times do I have to say that conservative is not synonymous with Republican? Republicans are supposedly representing us under their so-called Big Tent but I haven’t seen it yet.

How about a little math, besides? Bush grew it by 5 trillion over 8 years. Obama is set to grow it almost 2 trillion(1.7) in one year. If he serves only one term, that’s almost 8 trillion over the 4 years. If he manages to squeak in a second term? By the time he’s done he might actually make Bush look like the conservative he isn’t.

• Gary says:

“…So, what y’all would like is tiny gov’t, low taxes, huge army, and evangelicals in charge….or what?”

Yes, Yes,Yes, and Yes.

You nailed it, brudda.

The army part is negotiable unless somebody shows that there’s a need for a huge army. Right now, there is so, for now, I’d say yes, just like Gary.

BB, we have state governments that oversee most constituents’ needs. If the federal government would butt out they’d likely do a more effective job of it because their voters would see to it they do or they won’t be in charge long. If California wants to go ecocrazy, they could do so without punishing the rest of the nation and so on.

Why send money to Washington only to get back a percentage of what you send for them to tell you what to do? How many hands does the money need to go through just so you can have your $.08-.14 share of it when it was yours before they got their hands on it?

“Why send money to Washington only to get back a percentage of what you send for them to tell you what to do?” Cuz Tennessee gets back $1.25 for every $1 y’all pay in Federal tax dollars. It is a great deal, and I never tire of noting how the blue states carry the red

Well, for the TN money, I have to ask does that include the monies spent on the TVA, which is federally owned? Or should I say money not spent but pocketed by the crooks who run it?

Hmm, lost a comment about the TVA!? Anyhoo, I suspect the TVA is to some extent Federally backed, as is our Bonneville Power Administration out this way.
    Don’t know about you Tennesseans, but our electricity is relatively cheap therefore. But, I would wager, should the TVA be a private thing, your rates would be
    really high (and of course, it would STILL be run by
    crooks) 😆

It’s not in moderation so, I have no idea where you lost it.

They claim it’s relatively cheap and if you go by just the rate they charge, I suppose it is relatively cheap… but… the killer is that extra fee they tack on called a fuel cost adjustment fee that is about 25-35% of the your total depending on how much they feel like charging for that particular month. Fuel costs are less here than the national average once again and lower than they were two years ago long before they added that to our bills.

And now, they’re talking about raising the rates again because of the pending lawsuits from the ash spills because of negligence. Secondly, the directors or whatever you want to call them have given themselves huge salaries and bonuses. So you’re last statement about being run by crooks is apt.

• Gary says:

Trying to make utilities gov’t operated was the root of the Enron California Energy debachel that cost Gray Davis his political career.

“Our issues aren’t with the private sector regarding energy, they are with environmentalists that are holding this state hostage.” My issues are:
    2.6 million jobs lost in 2008
    $7.2 trillion US shareholder value loss in 2008
    $5 trillion added to the US debt 2001-2008
    ..if the liberals have their way, just maybe the mess can be fixed… 😉

BB, I understand where you’re coming from but it isn’t all 2001-2008. Those 2.6 million jobs weren’t all “lost” for one thing. Some of those workers were replaced with undocumented aliens who aren’t on the books like everybody else since they typically use either fake or stolen SS#s and I blame both Bush and Congress for that.

The 7.2 trillion shareholder loss can also be attributed in part to the illegal alien situation. To Mexico alone it has been averaged they send about 24 billion back to their country. Others from other countries do the same although not quite in the amounts that Mexicans do. How much money can you send out of the country with no return before it begins to affect the economy?

In addition to that, some banks have been practicing some bad business which has spilled over into other sectors in the financial world. Plus the Freddie/Fannie debable and since neither has been reformed that loss will continue to bleed us until we’re all dried up.

As for the 5 trillion dollar debt increase, it took Bush 8 years to do that. Obama is set to do that in one or at most two years. Remember the comment I made upthread? Throw it out because the numbers are all wrong. Since Geithner has annouced TARP II we’re looking at a 4 trillion dollar increase this year alone and it may go higher as more information is released to the public.

None of the things that directly contributed to the problems are being fixed and the only assurances we get are that things may get worse, setting us up for increasing the debt to ever more astronomical levels while sucking all power toward Washington, D.C.

My opinion; sometime after WWII, around about Kennedy-Nixon or so, a profound change slowly began in our economy . Economists view our GDP in terms of sectors, and the sector which has shrunk significantly is manufacturing.
    It has been replaced by ‘financial services’ and ‘health services’. Consider:
    1. We now buy steel, cars, hardgoods from Asia..a huge drain on our balance of trade
    2. The jobs after WWII were good well-paying productive jobs..people were able to purchase a lot of stuff…so our mfg made a lot of stuff…it was a postive spiral of supply-demand
    3. But manufacturing declined because of gov’t regs,
    taxation, large plant investment and competive low markups, higher wages, low ROI…gradually the jobs and the expertise went overseas.
    4. Ever alert, our free market system found that more money could be made from ‘soft’ stuff…insurance, investment…what is derided in some instances as
    ‘instead of making & producing..we simply move money around’. The last few years, this became bizarre..selling debt bundles, leveraging, buying up
    other companies and laying off most of the people.
    5. That is where we are at: it wasn’t caused by politics per se and it likely cannot be fixed by politics…if it can be fixed at all.
    6. The stimulus (and I am sure the GOP would do the same were they in charge) is designed to stop a serious downward spiral wherein not only regular folk are paying much more for their home than it is worth, but business is facing lack of credit, shrinking consumer base and rising foreign competition.
    7. I don’t think Obama is as ideological as either side thinks..he is pragmatic, understands the seriousness of the issue and hopes it would transcend politics..eg
    pull together for once. heh, Pelosi gives him as much
    crap as McConnell!
    8. Whatever the stimulus does, if anything..we still face the basic problem of a devasted US manufacturing base and sector…whoever can fix that will get my next vote. 😉

Oooops!! All that and I forgot to mention that I agree with you about the illegal immigrant thing..good point!

I agree on the manufacturing sector… to a point as far as what’s been sent out of the country. Some of that has been replaced by other manufacturing (the tech sector is manufacturing as well as programming for one instance) but those sectors are now importing their labor because it helps their bottom lines. In all, I guess I can agree with you on it, just not 100%.

The problem with the stimulus bill is there is hardly anything in that is stimulative because all those factors you so nicely listed are still going to be in place and there is huge resistence to changing any of it.

The bill is being promoted as a preventative for the downward spiral but it’s not going to stop it because it’s not written to stop it. That’s the difference between what we’re told and what the actual thing says. I’ve read huge swaths of it but not all by any means… it’s a headache and a nightmare rolled into one big monstrosity of text.

The bill, as read so far, is nothing but a huge powergrab by the federal government. That’s my opinion from what I’ve read, not talking points from somebody else. Among the few circles where I do discuss this stuff I have pointed out that much of it is codicils spread out piecemeal to keep people from getting the meaning of some of it. You have to start in one section and jump from section to section to section, ad infinitum, to finally to get the full significance of just one issue. It will probably take a year to detangle all of it because of the size of the thing.

Not that doing nothing is the ideal answer but doing nothing would be better than passing this bill.

And, on top of that, when people like Kerry come out and say we’re not to be trusted with our own money…

Benjamin Franklin said,” Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”

We’re living proof of that truism. We’re more than willing to become serfs rather than accept the responsbility that comes with liberty.

• Gary says:

I left this comment yesterday regarding California Politics:

Our State is in financial crisis because of illegal aliens. Here’s why:
    1. They work but don’t pay taxes on earned wages;
    2. They receive state funded entitlements in the form of food stamps and welfare;
    3. They create overcrowding in schools requiring more teachers at less pay to teach English in math, science, history and gym class;
    4. They overcrowd Emergency rooms and cannot afford to pay the bills because they have a common cold or TB or other communicable disease, leaving the financial burden to legal taxpayers;
    5. They create over crowding in our jails;
    6. They create overcrowding on our freeways and interstate highways; most without any formal driver’s training, and operate unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured and unsafe vehicles.

The solution? Fire Swarzenegger and Close the damn border! That’s not racist; it’s reality.

Basically, the Liberal idea that Gov’t should take care of the weak is absurd. The Gov’t was never intended to do this thing; it was designed to provide security from invading forces.

It is up to the citizens to take care of each other. When Gov’t steps in and begins to allocate funds to this thing or that, we as tax payers become obliged to the whims of whoever controls the money and has an emotional response to a particular situation. Liberals want to ‘fix’ everyone. The problem is that will never happen.

Thomas Jefferson wrote: “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

And,

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

And finally,

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”

Gov’t is not the answer to a self indulgent greedy society that chooses to spend what they don’t have for things that they don’t need; no matter what party is in the White House.

I hear you, Gary. Fortunately the illegal alien population and job stealing will take care of itself if the stimulus bill is passed. It’s going to create only 3.5 million jobs but it will be taking from small businesses to do that, in taxes, because the unions will get preferential treatment on bidding and contracts.

Some states that should get some of that shovel-ready project money, aren’t but are getting the pork that lines the elites’ pockets instead.

All of which will do nothing but put a bigger strain on the remaining, gainfully employed taxpayers until a lot of jobs will dry up out of the necessity of survival.

When the jobs dry up, which they inevitably will, the illegals will go home in at least large enough numbers that maybe some of the other industries will be able to breath a little, like the healthcare sector.

“Gov’t is not the answer to a self indulgent greedy society that chooses to spend what they don’t have for things that they don’t need; ” I agree, those Wall Street bankers are a damned greedy bunch, all right. 😆

Not just the bankers, BB. In a truly free market society this wouldn’t have happened but business has become accustomed to be able to go to Washington to get their sorry butts bailed out. It’s been that way off and on since the depression. Here we are almost 100 years later and this sort of thing is standard practice now.

Not sure about depression era ‘bailouts’ for companies, but here is an interesting list from 1970 to the present. Some of them actually worked….

February 2009