Apparently, the President of the United States is afraid of him. While the “I won” comment is making its rounds across the blogosphere to the rest of the world, there was more than that to the story.

President Obama warned Republicans on Capitol Hill today that they need to quit listening to radio king Rush Limbaugh if they want to get along with Democrats and the new administration.

“You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done,” he told top GOP leaders, whom he had invited to the White House to discuss his nearly $1 trillion stimulus package.

Has anyone pointed out to the President that Rush Limbaugh is a talk show host? To have the most powerful man in the nation afraid of him might make some people feel pretty good but I have a feeling that Rush will find it hilariously immature.

Did I mention Limbaugh’s a talk show host? It’s his job to do what he does. That’s what he gets paid to do. If people are listening to him, it must be because he has something to say worth listening to. Perhaps if the President were less concerned with trashing the dignity of the office to which he were elected and listened to some Rush himself, he wouldn’t be using such immature comments in strong-arm Chicago-thug style tactics to get his way.

Did I mention Rush Limbaugh is a talk show host? I’m sure I have. Aside from the fact that he’s usually right and revels in being right, he’s paid really to entertain us, which he does admirably. The humor makes the bitter pill of reality goes down easier.

Kind of reminds me of that line in “Indpendence Day” when Connie was reading the papers with bad press against the President, played by Bill Pullman, when she read, “… needed a warrior but elected a boy.” The similarity ends there, however, because we have elected a boy, whereas Pullman showed the right stuff, via acting, when it was necessary.

One hopes that the boy matures quickly or it’s going to be a very rough four years. He needs to start with refreshing his memory on the actual meaning of bipartisanship. Such would not include descriptors indicating fear of a TALK SHOW HOST or the words, “I won.” Bipartisanship would include reasoned and respectful debate on differences to reach a compromise, something the Democrats never gave Bush for his entire eight years but expect as their due because “they won.”

Sore losers, poorer winners. Indeed, it seems as if the Democrats in majority are bent on retribution and vengeance for their previous losses than working for the good of the nation. Okay, if that’s the way they want to use their power, that’s what they can do, but any Republican with an ounce of self-respect will not be on board with it. Don’t give them an out to blame Republicans for their failures. Make the Democrats own their legislation in every way.

From a comic strip came this great pearl of wisdom: “With great power comes great responsibility.” Comic… strip… Get it? It’s time the Democrats took responsibility for their agenda rather than finding willing scapegoats upon which to place the blame for failures.

Between comic strips and talk show hosts, one wonders how anyone is expected to take the Democrats seriously.

17 Responses to Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Limbaugh?

Well, I got my quotes wrong. The one referenced was warrior/wimp but there was another that I can’t remember exactly now but it was in reference to his age/maturity when dealing with issues.

IMO, Obama is trying to meet face to face with the opposition party, something we haven’t seen since,
    gosh, I dunno…not in my long lifetime. He is trying to get consensus in the face of huge economic problems. We know he ain’t gonna. IMO, he is pointing out that people (or to use the conservative
    perjorative ‘sheeple’) shouldn’t be led around by a
    ‘talk show host’. Ya know, like Ellen Degeneris or whatshisname. 😉 Again..only an opinion, Rush has caused more problems for the GOP than any Dem
    has….

On further reflection, I suspect the 3 day pres is running into that old conundrum but rather than use the old words:
    “Jesus Christ stated in Matthew 12:30 that “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.”
    Benito Mussolini declared in speeches across fascist Italy: “O con noi o contro di noi”–You’re either with us or against us.
    Hillary Clinton said on September 13, 2001: “Every nation has to either be with us, or against us. Those who harbor terrorists, or who finance them, are going to pay a price.”
    President George W. Bush, in an address to a joint session of Congress on September 20, 2001 said, “Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists.” Or, to paraphrase…if you ain’t wid me,
    den ya mustbe wid Limbaugh… 😆

• xsd4tex says:

Well, now that the election is over, at least until 2010, I don’t see either party gaining much respect from the American people as long as the inflammatory language continues. As low as Bush’s approval ratings were when he left office, Congress has even lower approval.

However, the biggest screech from the right wing alarmists so far is the apparently “precipitous” closing of the detainee prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Since Limbaugh remarked in no uncertain terms that he hopes Obama will fail, I doubt that the voters will glom onto his bloviations in 2010 any more than they did on November 4, 2008.

So, for the Base, hoping Obama will fail is all they can hope for if the GOP is going to gain back either or both houses of congress.

As I’ve stated here before, I believe John McCain’s biggest mistake was in picking (or his handlers did) Sarah Palin for his running mate even though he only met her twice before she became the candidate for Vice President.

The Base of course, disagrees with me on this observation. But, the Base will always follow Limbaugh’s marching orders. Too bad, because Limbaugh represents all that is wrong with the GOP.

True, he and other racists had a lot of fun with Barack the Magic Negro but Limbaugh trashes just about any ethnic group that has drifted away from the extremist elements of the GOP. Those apostates who dare to disagree are the ones he accuses of “going all wobbly. ”

He has also managed to offend Latinos, saying LA’s Mayor reminded him of a shoe shine boy and also saying in reference to Hugo Chavez “A Chavez is a Chavez. We’ve always had problems with them.” Yep, that’s the way to endear yourself to the Hispanic population alright.

Or, take this one for example, “You know who deserves a posthumous Medal of Honor? James Earl Ray [the confessed assassin of Martin Luther King]. We miss you, James. Godspeed.”

Well, one more, “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.” Yuk, yuk, aint that a knee-slapper!

The sooner the principled GOP stands up to this screechy racist and hatemonger the sooner they can regain the respect of the majority of Americans. That is, if they want to win.

• mycowardice says:

Exactly, and as Barack says, “You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done”

I think Obama’s point is pretty clear. If Republican are going to parrot Rush, things won’t get done (at least not the way Obama wants them done).

Excuses, excuses…

You know, I raised three kids, who, if they had spent half the time on their school work as they did on cooking up excuses to get out of trouble, they’d be Harvard grads who attended on full scholarships. None of them are but they have realized the error of their ways since maturity took effect.

Pelosi said she was in “vendetta” mode. For what, I don’t know but apparently, nothing less than total power is going to please her. For eight years, they bashed everything Bush did and then some, no matter how many lies they had to tell to do it. Obama partook of that bashing and has spent his first days in office undoing everything he can from the Bush “era.”

Now, all you rah-rahing Obama may think it’s great to be insulted on a daily basis but I don’t. I’m sick of being told how I’m such a bad person day in, day out. Every time he says this country needs to be remade, he’s telling us that we’re bad people. We make this country, not him.

If you and they want it, then take responsibility for it. Don’t look for others as scapegoats. They don’t need the Republicans to push their agenda and they’ve unequivocally said so many times. So why are they worried about reaching a consensus?

xsd, if you want to continue thinking so, be my guest. No matter what your opinion or mine is, It’s not going to change the facts that he lost.

Well, “..it’s great to be insulted on a daily basis” works for me. All I have to do is read my favorite conservative blogs. Twice in two years did a conservative fellow blogger defend me as not being ‘idiotic extrement’…once it was the sort of nice Kathy! ..and you know as liberals go, I am not particularly offensive. Or is I? 😉

BB, you’re the kind of Democrat I can actually have some respect for. We seldom agree on anything but at least your arguments aren’t completely filled up with MSM talking points that say absolutely nothing worth debating. Besides, sometimes I wonder if you’re a liberal at all and are just pretending. 😛

Many folks listen to Limbaugh, and in some ways, his career is like that of of the fellow who had 50 million radio listeners in the depression . Coming from the left side, I don’t quite understand whether Rush follows his listeners or vice versa. Or is he just kind of naturally one of the
    the group that thinks like that…you know if a dem says
    black, y’all say white. So, I wonder, what if some day ol Rush says, “I agree with Pelosi”…would the herd go along, or would he be back to mopping floors? LIke you say, he IS an entertainer and apparently pretty good. 😉

I don’t listen to Rush every day, sometimes not for weeks at a time. I think it’s more he echoes what many are thinking or says it in a way that encapsulates what most conservatives think… in an entertaining way. It’s his job to make people sit up and take notice, just as Ann Coulter really goes out on a limb with some outrageous things to sell her books.

I really don’t know that many people agree with Pelosi on either side of the aisle. From where I’m sitting, unafraid and unabashedly conservative, a lot of what I hear sounds like fear of her rather than agreement. Of course, that’s a little bit reading between the lines, not so much what they say but “how” they say it.

I’m not going to say much more on that last paragraph because it’s a lead in to my next article. I’ve mulled it over most of the last couple of days… one of those that philosophizes rather than links to news and other nonsense.

“Has anyone pointed out to the President that Rush Limbaugh is a talk show host”…..has anyone pointed out to the millions of people that call themselves ditto heads and cling to his every word (when they are not clinging to their guns and religion…sorry I had to throw that in)…..I believe most of these people voted republican…and tell me just how many of the elected tune in and listen….Obama must at least sometimes…but enough about Rush cause as we all know he is just a talk show host……Micheal Steele has just been appointed the head of the RNC….WOW history has been made….Black people are running the country now…who would have thought it possible…A black man in the higest office in the country and a black man the head of the RNC at the same time…..I do have a lot of respect for Mr. Steele and wish him well……I just hope he can work with the president to come up with a winning strategy to bring this country around……

The revolution has been televised

I’m glad he got it, too. I believe I said so in a post awhile back… at least I was more inclined toward him than any of the others, although I could have lived with Blackwell or Anuzis, if that’s the way it had fallen. Steele, however, has a passion that is not apparent in any of the others who were running.

As far as working with Obama, I doubt he’ll do much of that. You see, Steele is a conservative and he wants to work toward getting the party back to conservative principles and a conservative message. Obama is as far removed from those principles as a person can be.

Oh, btw, don’t expect the Oreo cookies to suddenly disappear because Steele has the chairmanship… considering it was liberals throwing them at him, I expect they will become more plentiful.

Yet, he still is willing to stand up for conservative principles. Gotta love him for that alone. Not many so-called Republicans have that kind of fortitude in the face of that sort of thing.

January 2009