Craftsman in the trade for many years walks into a company answering a want ad. He fills out the application, notes his experience, and time in craft. The owner or manager looks over the application and then asks what wage are you looking for, the craftsman answers commiserate with his experience. He gets hired to fix problem construction projects, while the company continues hiring lower wage people for new and upcoming projects. 6-7 months later, once the experienced worker has gotten the low wage earners in a better state of compentency, the owner is saying he has to cut costs so he looks at the experienced higher waged worker and says, “See ya.” (He might not always be that cavalier about it but it amounts to the same thing.)

So the experienced worker goes to another company, works for a little while, then the same thing happens.

Now, as this same pattern continues to happen, the experienced worker figures out that if he wants to keep a job, he’s going to have to hire himself cheap, but that, too, creates a problem. He walks into a company, fills out the application, and goes through all the same motions he’s gone through so many times before. The interview gets to the wage part and the worker says, he’ll hire in at what Juan, Miguel, and Jose hired in at because he needs to work. Even that wage is better than unemployment. The owner has one of three reactions: either 1) the guy is a loser and isn’t worth even that much, that maybe he’s got a drug or drinking problem and is unreliable, 2) or he’s going to quit as soon as something better comes along or 3) he can’t hire such an experienced worker at that wage because it might reflect badly on the company, that maybe the general contractors will take him for a cheap S.O.B. and maybe cutting corners and not following the codes, etc.

When the worker, or somebody close to him complains about this, the first thing out of people’s mouths or comments, you must be racist or a bigot. You reply that you don’t have a problem with legal immigrants and just want an equal chance is countered with “they” just want the American Dream. And finally, they’ll talk about how hard working they are, implying that American workers aren’t. The real problem is the system is setup in such a way we can’t compete with the illegal population coming in to take the “jobs Americans won’t do.”

This same worker hasn’t spent his entire time doing just one thing and has gained skills in other things, albeit self taught, so he tries to apply for other jobs, only to be turned down because he doesn’t have certification or a degree in that field. If he doesn’t work, he doesn’t have the money to get the certification because unemployment is of finite duration and of such an amount it barely covers the necessities so the spare time is spent in endlessly looking for another job, trying to fulfill his American Dream.

I suppose, that’s the sacrifice the American worker must make, sacrifice his own dreams so others may have theirs or be called a racist or bigot when he’s simply asking for an equal opportunity to fulfill his own.

The Republican party lost me once again over this last week as the immigration issue comes to the forefront again. Since the Democrat party is of like mind on the issue, I won’t be switching parties. I think I’ll create a political party called the Disenfranchised.

25 Responses to American Working Class World As It Exists Today

Note: There’s a problem with authorship designation on the backend. I’ll be working to rectify the situation but as it stands now, it seems every post is designating Falcon as the author when at least the last two are from me. There’s a dropdown that is supposed to allow one to choose authors but for some reason hillibilly isn’t on the list.

Falcon….er, HB…
    I heard today that unemployment is headed for a 16 year high. While I understand your particular case, it should be noted that a number of other factors have been putting folks out of work as well. In sectors which are not as typically cyclical as construction..nor subject to alien labor..eg industrial, banking, food service, transportation, etc. The only safe jobs are gov’t jobs, as usual. From my take on historical economics, we may suffer for another 2-3 years no matter what gov’t tries…look at the metrics for the first part of Reagan’s first term. Another unemployment factor, which you touch on, and which is independent of economic times, is the older worker. In theory they cannot be discriminated against….but in reality, they suffer first when it comes to cutbacks. So, if you can be Falcon, kin I be Raptor? 😆

You’re right, BB. There are more than one factor in this but it still comes down to: we be screwed.

I don’t know about whether you can be Raptor or not. You’d have to ask the real Falcon about that one.

Even government jobs aren’t safe right now when you hear all the news about budget cutbacks. Even the Post Office is turning people loose.

Be that as it may, I have applied for a researcher position with the government. Maybe my degrees will come in handy for something after all. If so, it will be the first time.

• Falcon says:

HB – good luck with the research position. I’ll be praying for you.

Btw, have you solved the issues with my name being credited to your posts? I mean, it’s nice of you to give me attribution for them, but you’re the real genious. 🙂

BB – ditto what you HB said about job losses in the public and private sectors.

As for your request, if you think you can handle it, sure you can be Raptor. 😉

Not yet. I can’t find where it is the problem it is. I thought maybe I should log out and log back in but I keep forgetting to do that. I’ll do that now.

Genius? Me? 😯

Well, that didn’t work. There’s a particular plugin though that I’m going to deactivate. If that works, most likely the ones up won’t change but the future ones will look the way they should.

Well… I think I’m going to have to make myself another username. There’s a drop down list where you choose the author and my name isn’t in it. Now, how do you like that?

I’m open to suggestions for a new username, lol. You regulars know my real first name anyways.

OhMyGosh! They took your name! The economy is worse than I thought. OK, I’ll give up Raptor – you can have it. 😆

I know…I know… my very own site and it stole my name from me… 😥

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

• Falcon says:

Wow! The economy is gettin’ really bad when your site steals your name. Maybe Mike Huckaphony needed a new moniker to promote his FoxNews show. 😆
    As for your new name, I’ve always been partial to Steph. 😉

😆

I guess he must need it awfully badly then.

Well, I do have a username at RedState as Steph C and also at Amy’s blog so how about StephC? Stephanie really is too big a mouthfull, isn’t it? Or should I say eyefull? 😆 😆

• Falcon says:

I changed the post author to accurately reflect the true genious. You deserve it after all the trouble you’ve gone through to find the HB name.

So you had to wrestle it out of Mike Huckaphony’s cold, petty hands, huh?

• Falcon says:

What!? Peter Pan’s shadow is missing? Someone call Scotland Yard quickly, mate. We must find it! Is Mr. Sherlock Holmes on the case?

You know, when I first started blogging… which really wasn’t that long ago… i used to use the name hillbilly everywhere I visited and commented. I don’t very often anymore, not because of bad reception to the name but because of better reception to putting your own name out there on what you say… if the makes sense.

It’s like anybody can call themselves anything they want on the internet and say whatever they want but if you take the time to put a real name out there on what you say then people listen better. Of course you don’t really want to put your whole given name on anything for security reasons but Steph is my first name and C is the first letter of my last name so it works.

• Jeanette says:

StephC,

Your situation is so much like ours was when my husband first got out of the Army. Because our son was attacked by a dog three days before my husband got out we had to stay in Fayetteville, NC.

We had bought a home there and were settled in but he couldn’t find a job even though he had an accounting degree. Everyone thought he would go back home or find something better and leave.

I know what you’re feeling right now and can tell you to give it all to God. If he cares for the birds in the air who do nothing to earn their keep, think of how much more he’ll do for you.

If you don’t tithe, try it. God says He will give you blessings you can’t even hold. We did that and it happened to us. This was during the Carter joke of a presidency and economy.

Count your blessings: you have health, shelter, clothes, food and some money to hopefully pay the bills at the end of the month.

I’ll be praying for you too.

• shambagoo says:

Your experience reinforces every thing good about unions. Seniority, collective bargaining, the equalization of productive power, the consequences of age discrimination. Too bad your polictical biases are so strong they can overcome your own economic self interest.

… Too bad your polictical biases are so strong they can overcome your own economic self interest.

Too bad you make assumptions about my political biases from one post.

You might be a union person. That’s okay. It’s your choice and, at one time, unions used to do a lot of good. There are a lot of laws on the books, that do the same things you listed, because of unions. But you failed to address the point of this article which has nothing to do with unions. In this area, unions don’t do much of anything but collect dues and allow people to work only part of every year.

If you want to talk about biases, let’s address yours.

One other thing I’d like to add. There is more to life than economic self interest. I know that’s hard for the materialistic mind to accept but it’s true. Some things are so priceless that they supercede economic self interst without thought such as human dignity and self respect.

November 2008