While Christmas is some time off as yet, yes, there is something to be cheerful about.

The invisible crown will not sit lightly on the president-elect. There is already some buyer’s remorse making the rounds in the MSM. I’m sure it’s just CYA more than remorse. Many of these thoughts could have/should have happened during the finally ended election.

The core problem is Obama, himself. He ran a great campaign, true, but in the speeches, the lofty rhetoric, the glitz and glamor, he promised to be “all things to all people.” His was a diverse coalition, made up of various groups, who all want different things. They will have profoundly competing ideas about what a President Obama should do.

Unfortunately, for him, the nation is still more conservative than liberal. Proposition 8 in California was shot down by the same people who voted for Obama. The success of the ballot has sparked a lot of rage on the left.

What of the MoveOn.org and DailyKos crowds? They played a huge part in getting him elected and they have certain expectations, many of which will run counter to what the nation as a whole wants. If he pleases the hefty lefties, he’s alienates the rest of the nation. However, if he doesn’t please them, the same machine they rolled out in support of him, will later be rolled out against him.

In his first speech addressing the nation, referring to the economic crisis:

“It is not going to be easy for us to dig ourselves out of the hole that we are in,” Obama said at his first news conference since winning the presidency on Tuesday.

I find that rather laughable in terms of the electorate. I remember another President saying something similar in reference to the war on terror due to crises he inherited from the previous president. 9/11/01 was five years in the planning which means “on Clinton’s watch” along with “bad intelligence” on Iraq, which also stemmed from the Clinton administration.

Given what happened to the current president, the “buyer’s remorse”/CYA of the MSM media, no, I don’t think that invisible crown is going to sit lightly on Obama’s brow. The majority electorate seems to be stricken with “I want it and I want it now!” Sorry, guys, it’s just not going to happen and the irony is: Obama knows it now; what he has gotten himself into, and isn’t quite sure what to do about it. On election night, the look on his face as he realized the job is more than trappings and status, says it all. For somebody who just won the highest honor that Americans can give, he doesn’t look all that happy about it, does he?

Not to mention the laundry list of abuses Pelosi, Reid, et al. are waiting to heap upon an… I would say unsuspecting but I believe they’re beginning to suspect now… electorate.

Investors Business Daily Editorials seems to agree with me.

Is it time to say “Merry Christmas?” While it certainly looks dim right now, there are things to smile about. Had McCain won, we’d still be fighting for the conservative right to find a place in the “new politics”/new tone. Now, we have two to four years to reach out and present our message in a way that is easier for the average American to understand rather than the lofty terms that have been used thus far to define it. Those terms are meaningless to this generation, not to ignore how they are wrongly defined by the left.

So let’s get to work on ’10 and ’12, shall we?

12 Responses to Conservative Cheer

You know I am simply amazed at the conservative outlook for Obama….in the primaries you said he would never get past Iowa…..then you said he could never beat the Clinton machine…….then you said he could never beat McCain…..and when McCain selected Palin you said the race was virtually over………now you are saying ……”Obama knows it now; what he has gotten himself into, and isn’t quite sure what to do about it.”………..Well once again you are wrong……Obama like no other president I’ve seen is quickly going about the business of becoming president and doing a good job of surrounding the people needed to get the job done…….and no thing won’t be exactly to campaign promises but there has not been one president who has been able to do that because the political world is so dynamic……..but what the conservatives should be doing instead of huddling up to work on ’10 and ’12 they should be getting on the band wagon with the president of the United States to get this crisis resolved for as goes his success goes the success of the nation……If they do this ’10 and ’12 will take care of themselves…….

The revolution has been televised…….

Bruce, I was one of the few hanging back from supporting McCain, if you’re recall. Palin gave me a reason to support him and, even there, McCain did his best to lose by not letting her be herself.

I don’t want to get on the bandwagon of socialism and I will support the president-elect to the extent that he supported his predecessor. If he wants better than that, he should have thought of that before opening his big mouth and insulting everybody on the right.

Oh, i read that somewhere else a day or so ago. Intriguing isn’t it? The problem is, Obama says no to nuclear energy, too. It seems like everything viable is off the table. Wind and solar will never compensate the levels we can get from other sources without taking up the whole darn country, 🙁

Well, even idealists can be pragmatic ! Heck if those socialist French can run 59
    atomic plants for 87.5% of their electric use, surely a Dem can? 😆

You’d think so, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on it. Obama, Pelosi, and Reid have their own ideas what should or shouldn’t be, and what should be is to their advantage and screw the rest of us.

• LL2008 says:

Wrong. Again, the author of this article gets it wrong.

The nation is not more conservative than liberal. Neither, the nation is not more liberal than conservative. You forget that there are as many moderates and undecideds. The moderates and the liberals together are greater than the conservatives. Just as easily, one can argue that the moderates and the conservatives together are greater than the liberals. Do you see? The conservative Republican base is only 26-33 percent of the national voter population, according to the recent election polls. To say there are more of one than one other is inaccurate. To appease a nation, one has to appeal to more than one part of the whole.
    And, if you are one who sees themselves as one part of the whole, and not one who can be flexible, then you are bound to be disappointed or elated when your party wins or loses. Which, clearly the author of this blog is bitterly disappointed.

As for proposition 8, I’m not sure that a small number of people voting for or against it weren’t clear on the language. If you in the voting booth, and the voter is asked to be for or against Prop 8, then the voter must ask themselves which way is the question? What is Prop 8 stating? Prop 8 is a ban on gay marriage. But if the voter is unclear on the stance of propostion 8, then if they are for gay marriage they may vote yes when really they have just voted against gay marriage.
    In the end, I wonder what the outcome of the Proposition 8 would have been if the ballot actually were to have been stated to ask the voter if they were for or against gay marriage, rather than ambiguously asking the voter to be for or against Proposition 8. I’m not sure how much different the outcome would have been one way or another, but hypothetically, it could have changed the outcome. Not that I don’t place the blame on the voter, as one should come to the polls with knowledge of the ballot in question. But we were certainly as a nation well-knowledged about the presidential cabinets, and we all know the outcome there. So there you go.

But buyer’s remorse? One week after the election? I hardly think so. Remember, our nation didn’t have buyer’s remorse for electing Bush until after the second election, which not until 2006 did it turn into a full-blown buyer’s hangover, and not until the last year of his term did we realize we had buyer’s terminal cancer.

I don’t think it’s fair for this author to throw out the remorse of the nation just yet. While the author is bitter about the outcome, the nation is not. The president-elect needs to become president first, then the nation, not the author, can make that judgement after the first 100-days, or perhaps the after the first year. Or, more importantly, at the next election. But again, we as a nation elected Bush twice, and he is by the polls more unpopular than any president in the history of polls and more unpopular than Nixon who was impeached, so what confidence does that give me to the conservative Republicans? None.

Question D3

I didn’t make that statement without backup. 63% of the nation self-identify as conservative or moderately conservative.

Funny how you saw this as bitter when it really is anything but. You’re also wrong about Bush being the most unpopular president, but I’ll let you figure that one out for yourself. The buyer’s remorse is coming from some corners of the MSM.. or it could just be CYA maneuvers. I suppose we’ll find out in time which it is.

They selected our president for us, just as they selected the candidates. Eventually, people will realise that, too.

34% identify as conservative. The moderates are not neccessarily conservative moderates. The idea that the US is center-right is bandied about by Buchanan and Rove, but there are other POV ..it is still early to leap to conclusions, but many voters were moderate
    progressive in their response to taxation policy, pre-emptive wars, global warming and even hardline social conservative values. I would assume the electorate to be dead center with a mass d’maneuvre
    which slides either way based on their personal
    circumstances. Of course, as you know, I’m never
    ‘Right’. 😆

• JamesC says:

t would seem to me the only person wrong here would be LL2008.

It is quite clear that an independent poll asking a simple question:
    “When thinking about politics and government, do you consider yourself to be”
    and 60% in one way or the other considered themselves conservative. That is plain enough.

As for Proposition 8 The official ballot title language for Proposition 8 is “Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry.” Seems to be clear enough also.
    (you can find that here :

Now the one thing that LL2008 did get right was this statement and I quote from the text above “But buyer’s remorse? One week after the election? I hardly think so.” Well you are right on there it did start somewhere after the election of 2006. What happened during that election? Maybe LL2008 should do a little research and this would explain itself once again quite clearly.

Did we as a nation elect Obama as the man he really is or as MSM presented him to be?

I personally do not know who Obama is or what he can do for the nation, for the last 2 years. I have looked and tried to find out what this person that came from nowhere has done for our nation and I just can’t seem to find anything there.

So give him 100 days or even a year ……. Or till the next election, which is it? I don’t think it will matter the result will be the same. Just hang on and watch it happen and hope for the best is what I am thinking.

As for the comment “so what confidence does that give me to the conservative Republicans?” this in itself needs no comment. All your other rhetoric comments here prove there is no need to attempt at giving you any “confidence” when it comes to conservative way of thinking.

November 2008