Well, there are some who HOPED to get more than CHANGE but all they got was the change.

Obama campaign workers angry over unpaid wages

Lines were long and tempers flared Wednesday not to vote but to get paid for canvassing for Barack Obama. Several hundred people are still waiting to get their pay for last-minute campaigning. Police were called to the Obama campaign office on North Meridian Street downtown to control the crowd.

The line was long and the crowd was angry at times.

“I want my money today! It’s my money. I want it right now!” yelled one former campaign worker.

A former spokesman for the Obama campaign said 375 people were hired as part of the Vote Corps program and said people signed up to work three-hour shifts at a time. Three hours of canvassing got workers a $30 pre-paid Visa card. […]

Eventually people did start getting paid, but some said they were missing hours and told to fill in paperwork making their claim and that eventually they would get a check in the mail.

“Still that’s not right. I’m disappointed. I’m glad for the president, but I’m disappointed in this system,” said Diane Jefferson, temporary campaign worker.

“It should have been $480. It’s $230,” said Imani Sankofa.

“They gave us $10 an hour. So we added it. I added up all the hours so it was supposed to be at least $120. All I get is $90,” said Charles Martin.

“I worked nine hours a day for 4 days and got paid half of what I should have earned,” said Randall Waldon.

Some people weren’t satisfied with filling out a claim form for money they felt was still due to them.

“They say that they gonna call you or they going to mail it to you, but I don’t know. We’ll see what happens,” said Antron Grose.

“Talking about they’ll mail it to us. I ain’t worried about that, man. They’re not going to mail nothin’,” said Martin.

Ya know… in an economic turndown, it doesn’t pay to give people change when they believe they’re owed a lot more.

6 Responses to Ushering in Hope and Change.

Apologies for being totally off topic. Am curious about the HangRight site…is that completely done? Was also wondering, since the group ran such a prolific and long-lived site, how you all found each other to begin with? Since blogging can be addictive, do you think any of those folks will start again? Back on topic, those campaign workers sound like that TV ad….
    “Its MY money, and I want it NOW!” Sort of odd…out this way, as far as I could tell, all the workers were unpaid volunteers.

Kathy is quitting. She has the domain for at least another year so I’m keeping it up for awhile but there won’t be anymore posts. I turned comments off on the last two posts and will work my way through to other ones later. I suggested she allow me to put up a splash page and link to the blog so people can research through it for facts and events that often get lost from the original sources. She’s taking a well earned rest and hasn’t gotten back to me on that one, yet.

When I first started blogging, having previously been part of the silent majority, I just followed links from other blogs that I found through internet searches. Somehow I found a home there but how people go about choosing their co-writers, I have no idea. I wasn’t seeking the job but was happy to join with them because they are an awesome group of people and I feel honored to have been part of their team. Kathy can post articles here, also, should she ever have the desire to do so.

I don’t know, BB. At this point, I think I’m just going to log events and let everybody else decide how they want to interpret them. Those people were under the impression there wouldn’t be a waiting period from the text of the article.

• Amy Proctor says:

Well, as much as Obama is beloved, I expect more of this from his followers. He seems untouchable now, just like Clinton was, but people will become disillusioned.

I’m really eager to see how this plays out. A McCain/Palin White House would have been fantastic, especially with Palin’s emphasis on special needs children.

If his administration were going to be Clinton, part two, I could live with that. It wasn’t great under Clinton but it wasn’t the worst thing in the world, either.

Unfortunately, I believe we’re looking at Carter x 10.

To be honest, Palin was never a good fit for McCain. Considering the sniping and pile on that’s being done now, I’m rather glad she isn’t subjected to that for four years. McCain is not defending her, either. He’s going to let her shoulder the blame for the whole thing.

It’s going to be rough, but this, too, shall pass.

” Unfortunately, I believe we’re looking at Carter x 10.”

My mom had four boys of which I am the oldest and we are all reasonably “successful”…but my youngest brother is the most successful of us all….One day we were talking and the subject came up…my youngest brother gave one big factor for his success…..It was the fact that he was able to watch us as he grew up…….He was able to learn from some of the mistakes we made and said “I’m not going to do that”….therefore avoiding some of the pitfalls….Obama is already avoiding one of the mistakes Clinton made and is not waiting to start putting together his cabinet and focusing on the economy…….Clinton waited and didn’t focus and it showed his first two years in office…..this is not going to be a repeat of a Clinton or Carter presidency……This is the Obama presidency and it is going to be a great one……Have I been wrong about anything else……I am a little disappointed with my friends from Hangright……..Its kind of like the kid who looses the game on the basketball court so he takes his ball and goes home…If he would have won he would have stayed and played………They lost so they took their ball a and left…….There is still a process that is moving forward…there is still a debate that must be expressed…..why quit…(and these are the people who talked so much about victory….but when things don’t go your way you quit????)

The revolution has been televised……….

Bruce, Kathy is tired, RP is tired and having some health issues, Steve also has been dealing with his personal life, and Mo has, of necessity, moved on to other things for his job and home life. He had to make some choices and we support him in that. As big as HangRight is, it shouldn’t be expected of Kathy to carry on alone because there’s just too much work in it for one, even two people.

Kathy will likely pop up here when she is well rested and she can always post whatever she wishes because she has those priveliges here. Steve also should he want to continue the work we’ve begun; them long before me. Should Steve wish he can have a home here as well as Kathy. We’re a team but some team members just need to rest.

As for your waxing poetic over Obama, we’ll see. It’s early yet and he hasn’t even been sworn in.

November 2008