People are probably tired of hearing about “Joe the Plumber” by now, however, there are greater lessons beneath the surface that is largely being ignored:

I’ve stated on other blogs that I frequently visit that this is the worst case of killing the messenger as I’ve ever seen. Obama made a huge mistake. He was honest in an unguarded moment. For that mistake, Joe the Plumber and anybody else who does the same thing… ask a simple but challenging question… should fear the same sort of backlash.

Stealing votes, stifling dissent, and spreading hate. Are you really prepared for this? Or this? How about this one?

I’m not… yet… but if I seem preoccupied, it’s because I am getting prepared for this eventuality, even while I work to prevent it.

How about one more.

Sorry, they just keep coming.

53 Responses to The Saddest Day in American Politics

Ya know, HB, most people (well the low percentage that actually vote) have probably made up their minds.
    Yet it (we, they, candidates) keep on, grasping each new weird thing..Joe the Plumber, Colin Powell, etc.
    50% of us are going to be disappointed come election day. Some, like me have been disappointed each election day for a long time. We muddle through…thinking who would be dumb enough to want to be president? 😉

Well, BB, I can empathize although we probably look for different things in a president.

As far as Powell, I’m not surprised so I’m not really disappointed, either. As far as “Joe”, it wasn’t who Joe is or his background but what was said to him when he could have been any one of us and then, he was punished for having the audacity to ask what he did and caused TheOne to “step into it.”

I wouldn’t want to be president. I’d be impeached within a month for sending Congress to the woodshed every other day for the temper tantrums they throw when they don’t get their way.

• Gary says:

Interestingly, the Obamaphiles early on recognized that Joe’s question revealed a certain Communistic bent about Barack Obama’s economic philosophy, and determined the best way to make the issue ‘go away’ was to divert attention from the topic by attacking a fellow American who had the opportunity that most of us would like: to ask a presidential candidate a question.

Greetings to Steph and the Owner

Hey Gary. Steph and the Owner are one and the same. Nice to see you here. does this mean I’m gonna have to add gawfer to the blogroll? 😆

I like Joe the plumber….although the ones I know have licenses…and pay their taxes. As an ‘Obamaphile’, I am prepared to lose, what the heck, I paid for the helpless millionaires for 8 years, I guess I can keep it up…poor folks, you think they could make it on their own? You see, taxes ‘redistribute wealth’..any direction you choose…up, sideways or down. Too bad, because the original purpose was revenue, not social engineering. If distributing downward (progressive taxation, been around since WW I) is communism, what do we call distributing UP?
    Like I said, I like Joe the Plumber, he works for a living.
    Under the Obama tax plan he would pay less taxes, either as a plumber or a small business owner.
    Check it out. (No, not on Limbaugh, silly) 😉

• Gary says:

I’d be honored, Steph. I own two domains: gawfer.com and gawfer.net. They both redirect to Gawfer.

I had a blogroll; Ika’s Roll, but blogrolling has been hacked by some raghead jihadist so it’s likely down for good.

BB, I’ll go easy on you ’cause we have a mutual friend, Steph.

I will say this coming from the plumbing (steamfitting) trade: one doesn’t have to have a license to be a plumber, though some states are requiring individual certifications now.

If Joe buys a pre-existing business, two licenses will need to be in place before work can commence. The first is a business license; the second is a contractor’s license. Joe will need to have a business license in his name but a contractor’s license can be a Responsible Managing Employee (RME) in his company.

As far as the $250,000.00 threshold is concerned, that is for couples owning and operating a business. In Joe’s case, he is an individual so his threshold is 50% or $125,000. If he takes a loan out for his business; say $50,000 to buy a truck, and another $25,000 for small tools and consumables, and pay’s himself $50,000 salary, guess what. He now qualifies for the tax increase. And what about Joe’s customers? As their taxes increased, they will be less likely to remodel a bathroom or kitchen, which directly affects Joe’s business as well.

In today’s economy, increased taxes for anybody will be disastrous.

BTW, I love Idaho, and have plenty of family in the Twin Falls area. I’d move there in a heart beat if I had Employment.

Gary, it was added before you replied.

BB, the underlying message isn’t whether Joe would get tax breaks or not, or that Joe has unpaid taxes.

He criticized Obama and for that he has to pay.
    The definition of fascism: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

I can’t stop you from voting for Obama if that’s what you want but I hope you think long and hard about the implications of what happened to Joe for asking a simple question.

Gary, thanks for going easy…I have been called more names than Joe the Plumber! HB, I understand your concerns about Obama (I visit conservatives blogs, you know!) If you turn off Limbaugh and check actual endorsements, you will find 63 Nobel Prize winners,
    119 US newspapers and 34 top businessment have
    endorsed Obama, while McCain has received no Nobel prize winner, 7 top businessmen and the endorsements of 33 newspapers. I know the standard ‘right’ answer..scientists are stupid, economists are stupid, generals who are liberal are stupid, newspapers are stupid. That is feel good stuff, and you and Gary and I all know it simply is not true. When I was an Army officer, a defense contractor scientist, writing patents and sending out tons of stuff to Iraq, I was not stupid. If I comment on any conservative blog, I AM stupid. Tells one more about blogs than logic. Consider there are three branches of government and there are election cycles..that’s why we don’t end up marxist, or fascist or racist, or totalitarian. So, ya doesn’t haffta worry so much. 😀

BB, Congress is also a Democratic Majority and the Supreme Court will be set to be one, too, if Obama wins. So it will be across the board one party rule.

This really isn’t about who gets what endorsements.

-Obama has called for a national police at least as strong as the military. Why?
    -Obama’s supporters have personally trashed anyone who criticizes the candidate, including the media. They use every means within their power to destroy individual lives. Why?
    -Nobody can dispute Freddie/Fannie’s role in our economic crisis. Obama has received more from Freddie/Fannie than any other congressman if you break it down by time frames. Why?
    -Why is Obama’s relationships with unrepentent domestic terrorists of no consequence but Sarah Palin’s husband belonging to the Alaska Independence Party is big news?
    -Obama told his supporters to get in our faces to get us to vote for him. That’s intimidation. Why would he do that?
    -Obama gave ACORN $800,000 of his campaign funds to “Get out the vote”, in spite of the fact ACORN has been under scrutiny for a number of years for voter registration fraud. Why would he do that?
    -Obama vows to change the world. Why?
    -Obama vows to remake America. Why?

I can bring up a whole lot more concerning events but it won’t do a whole lot of good. We’re not allowed to ask and get straight answers. Instead, we’re told such things are distractions and if we push it, we’re going to get the same treatment as “Joe the Plumber.”

I’ve said other places, while I won’t be voting for Obama, if he wins, I hope that I’ll be proven wrong, not just for my own sake but for everyone’s. But if I’m right? What then?

If we look at recent history:

Year Senate House President Court
    1997 55 45 228 226 Dem
    1999 55 45 223 211 Dem 1
    2001 50 50 221 212 GOP
    2003 51 48 229 204 GOP 1
    2005 55 44 232 202 GOP 1
    2007 49 49 202 233 GOP
    ,,we notice a couple of things: seldom has one party controlled everything..Clinton for 2 years and Bush for 6. also, when the electorate gets fed up for whatever reasons, we see large swings in the house (of course, they come up every two years) and, what many folk fail to notice…the senate is typically very close…look at Harry Reid’s majority! So “one party rule” is not only rare in the US, but those that want
    one party running everything will end up getting booted. “Obama wants to change the world, why?”
    It seems to be the times…the voters want change,
    McCain wants change as well….doesn’t he? BTW, look at my chart for at least 2 seconds, it took a long time to put together! 😆

Nornally, I’d agree with you on the numbers, BB, but this election, it looks like dem majority across the board and that’s what the Dems want; a recipe for disaster but they don’t seem to care.

They’re looking for a larger majority in the House and 60 seats in the Senate. I hope they don’t get what they want but…

No, McCain wants to reform government, less of it and less spending. Yeah, it will effect change, too, however, we don’t know what Obama means by change or why he thinks it needs it.

Be that as it may, what if I’m right and you’re wrong? Are you prepared to live with the consequences?

HB, say my chart was very nice in XP Word…then it
    got churned in HTML; how do I avoid that? Consequences? Oh, sure. If you really don’t like something, you can fight it….I joined the bunch that fought Reagan selling our National Parks to the Japanese…and it worked. I have to agree, though, we all hate change. I rather like Bush, the person, but I thought his policies were awful…I lived through it…even if my 401K didn’t…my nephew lived through
    3 tours in Iraq…I hope my friend the Captain does, cuz one didn’t. Really, life goes on. Tell ya what, I’ll check back..if Obama wins and see how things are going.
    If McCain wins, I’ll check back and you can gloat in
    pure joy! 😉

Don’t worry about the table, BB.It looked good in my email notification so I got the gist of it. To avoid that, you’d actually have to script the table which is more trouble than it’s worth for blog comments, 😆

Given some of the concerns I have with Obama, are you sure we’ll be able to fight anything? He has threatened a 527 with legal action, then its main contributor when he couldn’t get the DOJ to go after the PAC. That kind of thing is pretty scary to those of who have huge doubts about his policies.

I won’t be gloating about McCain. I might heave a sigh of relief from time to time. McCain ain’t 100% my cup of tea but he doesn’t scare me like Obama does… well, at least his policies don’t scare me like Obama’s does. Obama by himself doesn’t scare me. It’s his ideology that everyone keeps telling me is so unimportant it’s not worth questioning.

You got me on the PACs and 527s. Is it true they can say ANYTHING about the opponent? We had one out this way “Club for Growth’, that funded a rather silly strange fellow..all the local contributions went to the other guy…PACman won of course. IMO, money shouldn’t buy campaign, but that seems to be the way, anymore. Right now, I’m concentrating on Halloween.
    American tradition right? For four or five glorious years in the late 40s, I dressed up and went door to door,
    making out like Donald Trump (or Soros?). Then for the next 60, I gotta give it away? Stll fun though….

What they said was factual because it was more questioning than anything else, but, Obama didn’t like the ad, so…

Halloween… only 4 years? I got at least 6 years of trick or treating before I was relegated to the handing out phase.

That’s okay, Gary. I’ve seen it. I don’t think you have to add all the a href= stuff when you you have the embed code. Just plunk it in there as if you’re copying and pasting text… that is if you want to give it a try just to see if you can do that.

This marxist-socialist talk; ever read Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations? He not only invented Capitalism…he invented progressive taxation:
    “The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. A tax upon house-rents, therefore, would in general fall heaviest upon the rich; and in this sort of inequality there would not, perhaps, be anything very unreasonable. It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.” Even back in the 1700s, he realized that natural redistribution of wealth in a free market is upward, BUT, it the consumers had no money the system would collapse. Adam Smith was hardly a socialist…he just had a liberal view of economics working at its best.

BB, right ththis moment I’m watching The Drudge Report for breaking news about a McCain volunteer attacked and mutilated. Still think this is just about economics? Go ahead. I can’t stop you.

Obama told his supporters to “get in their faces.” This is just one incident of violence that has happened this week. Windows being broken with bricks or guns, a lady being beaten with the stick from a destroyed McCain/Palin sign.

I suppose Obama will tell us he’ll miraculously make it all stop if we just elect him… like he said about the seas will suddenly stop rising…

• AF says:

This was a horrible act, no excuse for it, but don’t pin this on Obama! This was a random act of violence by a crazy criminal. Obama did not promote hatred and violence and when he said “get in their faces” he was talking about his supporters voicing concern and protesting the internet and TV ad lies spread about him (like he’s a radical Muslim, terrorist, not American). I could name three instances of violence/misconduct that have been reported about McCain supporters but these don’t reflect on McCain. It reflects on the fact that this election is getting very heated and while most Americans can remain civil, there will always be crazies out there on both sides.

AF, he said it, not I. He didn’t clarify it. He simply said it, so yes, I can lay the blame at his feet. This is only one of a string of increasingly violent acts.

There was the lady in NYC who was beaten with the stick from a McCain/Palin sign. There’s the brick through the window of a McCain headquarters in Murfreesboro TN. There’s the spray painted death threat on a Senator’s home in WI. There’s the keyed car with the letters KKK simply for having a McCain/Palin bumper sticker. There is the mob who tried to rush Palin’s motorcade. There are the holes in a county Chairman’s home window in FL made with a pellet gun. There is the campaign bus being shot up with a .22 caliber and paintball guns NM.

There is the Secret Service visiting a McCain supporter because she told the Obama volunteer at her door that she could never vote for somebody who will let babies dies on a hospital floor after a botched abortion. The volunteer told the Secret Service the woman had issued a death threat directed at Obama.

As far as this “B” story, there is some doubt but these others are not in doubt.

This is beyond stealing or defacing signs and bumper stickers. If there were similar stories against Obama supporters they would be all over the news and there would be outrage the likes of which we have never seen, but I’m not hearing of any

When McCain supporters started saying bad things at his rallies, he put a stop to it, like the woman who called Obama a Muslim. Obama talks about running a clean campaign but doesn’t follow through. Instead, he tells his supporters to “get in their faces.” Regardless of how you think he meant it, this is the result.

So, your argument is that he’s too dumb to know the likely consequences of his words?

The very words “get in their faces” is an intimidation tactic because that’s the reflex response to someone invading your personal space; that you’re being intimidated and potentially attacked. You wouldn’t like it happening to you if it was reversed.

“Get in their faces.” I have seen this now for at least a year on just about any blog lib or con, quite a bit more
    vitriolic and illogical than the original quote stated Out this way they
    burn Obama signs in your yard. Lest we forget; happens every election, happens to both sides.
    Gentle folk like us condemn it. As far as “You wouldn’t like it happening to you if it was reversed.” Of course not…my company used to ‘imply’ how we should vote.
    Thankfully the polling place was secret! 🙂

BB, I’ve both read and heard the original. What’s happening is beyond the usual stuff that happens at election time.

I could cite all the vandalism and sign burnings and thefts from both sides of supporters but, like you said, that stuff happens every time. I could cite all the crazy things some stupid people say but, like you said, that happens every time.

If McCain had said “get in people’s faces” and things like this started happening from the Republican side, would it make a big stink in the news then?

McCain doesn’t have to say anything…remember last August?….”Huckabee reacted to news of the shooting Wednesday by releasing the following statement: “The senseless shooting at Democratic Party Headquarters in Little Rock today is a shocking and sobering reminder of just how depraved our world has become. All of our thoughts and prayers turn toward Bill Gwatney and his family today, while we await details on what happened and why.”

Bad example, BB. That shooitng, in all likelihood, had nothing to do with political partisanship since he asked for Gwatney by name.

The young woman ‘attacked’ in Pittsburg is a GOOD
    example? BTW, I never cared for M Malkin, but, gee,
    she sure smelled that one out!

BB, you obviously didn’t read what I wrote about the “B” story just a couple of comments up so I’ll quote it for you.

…As far as this “B” story, there is some doubt but these others are not in doubt….

I suppose, in your world, one stupid girl’s false story makes all of them false, in spite of the fact they happened states apart?

• AF says:

Whoa, whoa, HB. There’s a lot of hostility in your last few messages. The reality is there are hateful things happening on both sides of the polticial fence that none of us condone. BB brought up an excellent example and you pooh-poohed it as there was no way it was meditated by partisanism or rage. We will never know the true story, but the fact is that Johnson, the shooter, was a Republican who had just lost his job but was not employed by Gwatney or the DNC. But your inflammatory language and one sidedness are kind of over the top. Note that I, and Obama supporter, immediately condemned the attack on the poor girl –even though it turns out know it was all a hoax–but you are so quick to condemn and “lay this at Obama’s feet?” Man, you’ve got some issues. I’d be happy to provide you w/ several examples of violent or inappropriate acts on the part of McCain supporters against Obama supporters. The reports are out there. Several Obama signs and homes in my very own neighborhood have either been egged, grafittied or stolen.

Words and actions, AF. There are a lot of ugly words on both sides of the fence. As long as it stays in the ugly words and petty vandalism column of misbehaving I’m cool with it. But when it goes to actual violent acts like the ones listed above, it’s gone too far.

Yes, yes, and yes, I blame Obama because he said what he said. The first time I heard it, I knew it was going to bring trouble. He knew what he was doing and he did it anyway. He has not disavowed one act of violence… not one… even the fake one… and he’s had ample opportunity to do so.

Talk about ‘bringing trouble’ ; this guy quotes McCain as saying, “When he ran for the Senate, I attended a gathering of GOP operatives at the National Republican Senatorial Committee where McCain outlined his campaign strategy:
    I play to win. I do whatever it takes to win. If I have to fuck my opponent to win I’ll do it. If I have to destroy my opponent I won’t give it a second thought.
    ….not nice. 🙄

So? He’s supposed to be nice while Obama says no negative politics then makes his campaign one long session of negative politics? I wish he’d have more of that attitude now than the crap he’s doing.

Look, BB, we’re never going to agree on this so we can go ahead and cancel each other’s votes out but I will be voting… for McCain.

If Obama wins, so be it, but when it all goes to hell because he hasn’t got a clue about anything except marxism that always fails, don’t expect me to shelter you. I doubt I’ll have a home left anyway.

You know what unemployment pays in this state max? $275/week. My husband’s in construction. No growth means no building which means no jobs. So, we’re supposed to live on $275/week so Obama can spread the wealth around. Oh and that’s before they take out taxes plus social security so it’s more like $200/week.

The first thing that happens when there’s a Democratic president is the construction industry dies. If you’re non-Union, you can forget about working and you can forget about living for that matter. It happened bad with Carter, I happened with Clinton, and looking at the stock market, it’s going to happen all over again.

We will lose everything but that’s alright because it’s for a good cause, right?

We’ll be homeless but we’ll have healthcare… if we can get to the clinics or where ever it is we have to go to get it considering mass transit doesn’t work worth a damn.

We won’t be able to drill for oil and create jobs there either because Obama is against it so we’ll being subsidizing the farmers to starve us to death. Won’t matter to me, I won’t be able to afford electricity anyway and they’ll probably fine me for cooking outdoors so basically it will be choosing how I want to starve.

But we’ll have universal healthcare, right? What good will it be when you can’t afford to live? Heck, you won’t even be able to afford to die in this country since they’re going to tax that, too.

Oh yes, it’s going to be so great having Obama for President.

And we’ll get tax breaks if we’re working, right? That is if you have kids, which we don’t. But nah… his crap doesn’t affect the middle class, only the rich… which is probably true because by the time Obama is finished with all his GRAND plans there won’t be a middle class.

I agree…we disagree 🙂 I’m pretty sure construction would do very well, should Obama get elected…one of his main concerns addresses the awful state of road/highway/bridge infrastructure (can’t outsource THAT stuff to China or Singapore) I would hope McCain has serious thoughts in that area as well..we need the work done and people need the work.

road highway or bridge infrastructure? PUL-EASE!!!! You have no idea. You know who’ll get what few jobs there will be available? Illegal immigrants, not only because they’ll work for slave wages but because they’re underprivileged.I don’t have the luxury of a victim class so spare me the platitudes.

The rich are right now taking their money out of the economy. You can only tax it once. They’ll invest somewhere else… anywhere else but here… no economic growth means no jobs… BB, I’ve been here before.. more than once… I’m sick of being in this position.

Since nobody seems to be able to get it right and keep it right, why work? After all, we’re being told if we work hard we’re going to get screwed anyway.. so why bother?

• Gary says:

now we know thespychotic little wench was lying to cover up something more sinister… and w 🙄 ill be standing before a judge for filing a false police report.

She stood in front of a mirror and etched the B into her own face… no wonder it was backwards! DOOH!

🙄

Tell me again about being screwed: I had to restart my 401K when Reagan’s Black Friday wiped out the market. It grew greatly under Clinton and I rolled over into a retirement annuity. Now, after 8 years of Bush,
    it is practically worthless again. I study these things hard (not just listen to Rush Limburger) and I have a pretty good idea of which party wants what…..

Whatever, BB. I can’t even find a reference to a Black Friday. We grew under Reagan. You gained under Clinton.

This time, I just don’t care. We’ll lose everything again and this time we’ll just stay down, not even try and that’ll be that many less people paying for Obama’s Grand New Society.

His healthcare plan will be a death warrant for me, anyway so it really doesn’t matter to me at this point what you or anyone else thinks of TheMessiah. I wish you joy of him.

His healthcare plan will be a death warrant for me. -HB

Nope. I had one tiny problem that stupid doctors didn’t take care of when it was tiny. I almost died from that because the insurance we had at the time said I had to see the doctors on their lists or pay through the nose. You think Obama’s healthcare is going to be any better? It tok me three long years to come back from that. If I have to do it again, why bother?

• AF says:

Wow, what kind of problem did you have (if you don’t mind me asking)? Obama’s healthcare plan is not government mandated, so you would likely have a broad choice of docs as most plans have today.

High blood pressure. The docs… more than one put me on some stupid medicine that wasn’t working… I told them it wasn’t working and they said it was my fault. After about a year, I started getting short of breath in spite of everything… thought I had pneumonia or something… that went on and it just got worse… by the time I got to the emergency I couldn’t move my finger without losing my breath.. the ER doc told hubby that another 24 hours and they would have been taking me to to morgue. I developed congestive heart failure because they had me on meds that weren’t working and wouldn’t listen. It was all the new wonderdrug for HBP… durn near killed me.

I don’t trust doctors now. If I see one and he doesn’t listen, I ask for my money back. You can’t do that on insurance because they’ll bill it anyway.

October 2008