Crossposted to HangRightPolitics.
There is a compelling factual case to be made that the contemporary radical Left can properly be called “Neocommunist.” The Hard Left is grounded in Marxist vision of creating a “new man” under a system led by a vanguard that knows best what the rest of society needs. And Neocommies behave in patterns with startling parallels to Old Communist tactics.
Since the article cropped up there, I’ve seen other articles alluding to the possibilities. Mark Steyn has a piece on our uncomfortableness with ideology, ours or anyone else’s. Another O.C. article describes how the California capitol spends tax dollars to legislate against its constituents. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, returning from the Russian talks has this to say:
Gates said he believes that Russia is asserting its resurgence in the post-Cold War period.
“I think President Putin is coming back and saying you know you have to take us into account on all these things. In essence: ‘We are back. We’ve got a lot of money. And we are a key player.’ ”
“I’m putting words into his mouth. He didn’t say these things. This is my interpretation of perhaps his thinking: ‘And you will need our help to solve problems. And if you won’t seek our help, we can prevent problems from being solved,’ ” Gates said.
China is also moving to reassert its Communist Party dominance.
Any talk of such a movement as communism or neocommunism is quite likely to engender a reflexive response of rejection due to the possible backlash of being accused of engaging in fear propaganda or McCarthyism defined as:
The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.
The use of unfair investigatory or accusatory methods in order to suppress opposition. (Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/mccarthyism)
By the way, while McCarthy’s methods might not have been the best for combatting the creeping threat of communism in his day, he was largely vindicated for his accusations and suspicions after the release of the Venona Files.
For the past few decades we have celebrated the end of the Cold War. The Berlin Wall was pulled down and the Iron Curtain torn asunder. The communist movement in America also died with the “death” of its epicenter in Russia. Or did it? The same forces that lead the communist movement here didn’t die. They just shifted focus away from Russia to the United Nations under the guise of “multiculturalism,” “tolerance,” “celebrate diversity”, those sound good, feel good terms that are great until you’re on the wrong end of them: white, privileged, or otherwise a nonvictim of some sort.
No, my friends, the communist movement is alive, well, and gaining more power than it ever did under the old communist movement. While no one wishes to be accused of McCarthyism or fear mongering, sometimes we just have to confront the issues whether we wish to or not. I, for one, would much rather be doing anything else than worrying about the communist takeover of the “last bastion of freedom and democracy.” I suppose I could always give up my freedom in favor of the government’s “higher wisdom.”
Listed below are the goals for a Communist America. How many have already been effected and how do we begin to bring our country back from the brink. This will require considered and measured thought and a steadfast heart. Over the course of this multipart series, evidence will be presented to show the success or progress towards the achievement of each of these goals.
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one, or both, of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture — education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etcetera.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit, and eventually dismantle, the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [“]united force[“] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
(Source: http://www.nationmakers.com/com_goals.htm )