lobbyist, nor even an NRA official. The best speaker, hands down, was a young army NCO. Everyone I asked agreed with that assessment. I can’t express in words how amazingly his speech, his story, his utter love for this country moved me. [snip]

This young NCO, a man I won’t identify by name to a wide audience until I get his permission, [editor’s note: our hero’s name is Sgt. 1st Class Greg Stube, and you can read more about him here. Our thanks to Lucianne.com for pointing us to this article.]  told of his massive injuries while fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan. Trying to relay his story here seems futile. I can’t match in print the emotion of the man nor the way I felt about him even were I a better writer. I don’t think anyone could. But I will try and tell you a little about what he went through. [snip]

I doubt his message will breach the tin ears of the antiwar left. But his courage, his love of his family, country and freedom pushes me to write. I ask the antiwar left, and I urge others to ask, listen to the soldiers.
Right now, the overwhelming majority of them find value in their mission to fight terrorists in Afghanistan and Iraq. I agree. If I ever get the sense from them, the genuine belief that they don’t support the mission I will be the first to stand up and say bring them home immediately. Until then can you on the left stop “supporting them” by insisting you know more than they do about the work they are doing?
If they tell us they are fighting al Qaeda can the MSM please stop writing articles about how they are not really fighting al Qaeda? Can Michael Ware please refrain from making hyperventilating statements like “the streets were rivers of blood” as he did a few days ago on CNN?  Can you at the New York Times and Time magazine just take a few moments to rethink the de-legitimization of our brave soldiers strategy your are employing when you call them uneducated, unemployable, untrained, too afraid to speak up against the president “cooking the book” stooges of George Bush?
I am not asking you to love the war. I am asking you to listen to a man who watched his guts leak from his body to protect that freedom of the press you use to attempt to dishonor him.

I agree with these sentiments. Follow the links inside the quote and listen, just listen to this young man. Using Media Player was a a little wacky but if you forward all the way to the end of the 6:10 clip it rebuffers and opens with the introduction for Sgt. 1st Class Stube. Read the full article from which the extensive quotes are taken. These are the people that people who support MoveOn.org love to hate.

Also read: Return on Success? Then think about this: Transcript: Ahmadinejad Interview, Part 1 then take a look here. When actions don’t match the words, it’s best to believe the actions rather than the words. Anybody can talk the talk in this day and age but can you walk it, too? Sgt. 1st Class Stube can and has, as have all our troops.

9 Responses to But the best speaker of the day was not a politician…

• Christi says:

Excellent post, Steph. I can’t imagine anyone listening to this man and not feeling a sense of overwhelming pride. I guess that is the difference between us and them but I will never understand it.

Hope you’re getting over your cold…keep those windows closed. 🙂

• Phil says:

Hi Steph,

I agree with Christi, Non Commissioned Officers have a real feel for what is really happening they are like a go between the regular army and the upper class officers.

Yes by all means Steph, keep those windows closed and get over your cold soon we all miss you very much. 🙂

Christi, it’s hot again so I have no choice on the windows. If I want to keep cool, it’s air conditioning again… sigh… I much prefer fresh air.

Phil, the cold hasn’t kept me from being around, work has. It won’t be much longer til I’m back full force.

• Travis noteboom says:

I was in DC for Greg Stube’s speech. Absolutely the best speech given. I only wish every American could have heard it in person as well.

Travis

We do our best, travis… sometimes I believe we lowly bloggers have a larger reach than most newspapers. Not any single one of us but collectively.

• Travis noteboom says:

Agreed. Look at what happened to Jim Zumbo.

I was lucky enough to hunt with Greg and his wife Donna in June of this year.
    Wonderful people and true Americans in every sense of the word.

Travis

Give them my best… from a former military spouse and blue star mom… I think I lost that status once my son got out , 🙂 , but I was one once.

• Alan Blankenship says:

Sgt. Stube, Thank you … thank you … thank you!!!! I not only read this article but saw you on the Glenn Beck show. God bless you, your wonderful and loving sacrificial wife, and son. Your heroics and love for this great country are unparalleled. You don’t call yourself a hero …. but attach that great compliment to your wife and all other military spouses!.. Wow!!!! Sgt. Stube, you make me proud to be an American. Your goodness and contrition are superb traits that God has blessed you with. Although other soldiers probably have done the same … you are still hero and a man of God. Your example and words are etched in the hearts of many Americans, as well as those in the Middle East who saw your determination to live. Yes, life is precious!!!!! A bomb nearly aborted you … decades into your life. Just as the infant is precious in the eyes of God at conception and at birth, your life is also seen as of great value. Thanks for trying so hard to live! Again, thank you … thank you … thank you!!!!!
    Alan Blankenship